Your android setup tutorial is broken and you should remove it

So that people like me dont spend entire day realizing that it doesnt work…

2 Likes

If you have a GitHub account, it might be best to file an issue on the ofSite project, better yet, fork the project and submit a PR with your findings! It looks like the Android setup guide is in ofSite/setup/android-eclipse.

I have no interest in being your QA. I just think it is not nice to keep up broken instructions. If you dont care fine by me.

The nice thing about free and open source projects is that everyone in the community benefits from the work of the collective. So, addressing a community forum with “your android setup tutorial is broken and you should remove it” kind of misses the point as the “you” you address in this context includes you. Everyone in this free and open source community (like many others) acts as a quality assurance node, so rather than just joining a forum to complain, I’d encourage you to share what you’ve learned and update the documentation so others benefit from your work.

6 Likes

I care even less about arguing about philosophy of FOSS…
Like I said I wasted an entire day and wanted to tell you to pull the “tutorial”
so that other people dont waste their time, but if you want to keep it up… fine.

Thanks for the report, I’ve filed issue #315 to investigate and track changes to the stupid guide.

1 Like

thanks for the report @nx02! any more info would be hugely appreciated but totally understand if a general “this thing doesn’t work” is all you can provide. it looks like @theDANtheMAN is going to take a look at this one and see if he runs into any problems.

and the other instructions that are based around installing specific api should be nuked... eclipse adt manager or how is it called is buggy piece of cr...ode. i kid you not... it would not even close correctly...

i followed the instructions a few weeks ago, and most of the issues actually came from not setting up eclipse/android SDK/NDK properly, as there is a myriad of ways it can be done, and the problems may be compounded if you had existing versions of the ndk installed, older android sdks, and who knows what settings embedded within eclipse…

all in all, at the end of the day, if one has a reasonably set up android dev environment in eclipse, i don’t think there are too many things wrong with the instructions per se. where people might need help, or stumble into roadblocks, is likely due to the complex nature of android development in eclipse. so while i can’t offer a specific list of fixes, the general philosophy around setting up an android development may be quite relevant to how we may document the setup procedure…AND of course now android studio is out… haha.

2 Likes

I found the instructions fine, follow step by step and it all works. If there is something that doesn’t make sense there is a lot of clarity on the forum. There is nothing wrong except that the icons look a little different on different platforms and versions of eclipse, and there are a lot of ways to do things in eclipse. Eclipse itself is also not so bad, it is still a major development platform for android and it works fine. It is definitely more clunky with c++ not just straight java. All in all it takes an hour or so to get going with OF for android and it is a good starting point for further development. Of course there are a lot of ways to make a mobile app, if you are looking for something easy here is a page with a lot of links to get you going.

2 Likes

In any case the old setup is outdated because the Eclipse ADT plugin is no longer under active development.

openFrameworks for Android needs to be configured to work on Android Studio.

1 Like

There is some work going into Android Studio support, but it isn’t likely targeting OF-0.9.0. Importantly, Android Studio does not yet support the NDK which is needed for native language integration. Issue #3408 has the details and a link to the PR that uses a gradle-based NDK integration solution, so the ADT flow will probably be with us for a bit yet.

are you sure?

anyway, i can not find the previous “adt is no longer under active development” announcement on the android developer website. it seems it is gone for now.

Yep, this is why the gradle hacks are still required.

The Migrating to Android Studio doc previously stated:

If you’ve been using Eclipse with ADT, be aware that the ADT plugin is no longer in active development, so you should migrate to Android Studio as soon as possible.

but I see now that it has been edited to soften that position:

If you have been using Eclipse with ADT, be aware that Android Studio is now the official IDE for Android, so you should migrate to Android Studio to receive all the latest IDE updates.

sorry, does anyone have a stable version of open frameworks android??? please share me. thanks.

http://openframeworks.cc/download/[quote=“ngoaho91, post:17, topic:18013”]
stable version of open frameworks android
[/quote]

Look under the android section.
http://openframeworks.cc/download/

@bakercp thank you. i downloaded openframework 0.8.4, and follow the tutorial. but got a build error.

Android NDK: Aborting . Stop. line 130, external location: build-local.mk

Can you please tell me which openframework version should i use to develop android application??? Or if i do something wrong, can you help me fix it?
Thanks

I think there is no problem “the android setup tutorial” on openframeworks.cc!
because i have done a pure of app,and have published on googleplay,
everything is ok,may be nx02 don’t have enough acknowledge about android-ndk development.
any problem,contact me.

my app here—>
http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/hello-every-one-my-pure-of-app-try-it-thanks/17677