You are in room 1

Hello OF.

How would I plug & play and RPG that could start with something like:

• Your ai in room 1;

Thanks

@opseidon what do you mean, a full blown rpg engine, just to say ‘you are in room 1?’

@unicatcorn Yes. You could add “small discs made of lustrous metal” to the engine.

@opseidon i’ve been having fun with this addon, there appears to exist such engine https://github.com/s373/ofxs373Json/blob/master/example-rpg/src/ofApp.h

MUD games!! Yes. It Works. Thanks.

Now, how would you plug your ai in room 1?

Do I just go through all the json’s and build my architecture from there?

Kids nowadays only like graphics. You wouldn’t happen to have 3D examples of this engine, would you?

aren’t muds mostly text based, with minimal graphics? sorry, they’re a bit before my time.

not sure how much of this project you’re doing from the ground up. oF might be a good fit if you wanted to use it for graphics. You’ll also need something to act as the server, something like this that players connect to.

For the room’s ‘ai’, as you call it (it’s not really ai, more like properties), you’d probably have something like a JSON file marked with a bunch of attributes, like room name, description, items/npc in the room/exits, and so on. You could also use JSON for npcs/monster/items, pretty much anything with attributes.

For there, you’d probably have ‘player actions’ (in their own subdirectory)like look / get / go / say which would read and spit out the fields in the JSON file for that room.

Since it’s a command line games, which would be largely driven by arguments, you’ll probably benefit from tokenizing of the commands.

@opseidon i did some tests on what you mention. but i have to bypass json’s, keep it close to core structure, encrypt it, you wouldn’t want kids to mess around the game structure by exposing all the properties in the jsons, but the concept is the same. basically involves plugging a finite state machine with a dictionary of actions a creature can have, bound to areas. objects usually are static and bound to areas. then there’s a logic layer that generates areas and logical relations between objects and creatures and areas, much like keys and doors and labyrinths. it’s kind of a logical graph, much like new ai/neuron feedback and back-propagation, could be very interesting to bind these structures see what might pop out, had not thought of that, sounds interesting. i would just use a kind of lexical grapher that would plot & spawn strings of worlds. would be interesting also to apply the grammar stuff to dictionary of finite state machines.

@figurehe4d yes, oF is a very nice environment, mud’s are very nice and inspirational, seems like times are new.