Which video codecs and containers are supported by ofVideoPlayer()?

I wonder which codecs and containers are supported by ofVideoPlayer() ?
Is every codec supported, that is installed on my computer (on Windows every codec installed with the K-Lite codec pack, for example)? Or are there some exceptions?
I made good experience with the .mxf codec, but I want to allow the user to use every codec / container that is working (depending on the installed codecs) with ofVideoPlayer (and exclude those extensions, that are not working at all)…

each platform has its own internal ofVideoPlayer engine, and you can switch them in the case more than one is available (example, in macOs the default is based on AVFoundation, but you can use GStreamer using one addon)
I’ve seen an ongoing effort in a thread to bring VLC backend to ofVideoPlayer object and I think it will be great to play a number of video codecs.

1 Like

this is neither performant, nor fun, but you can try my ofxAvCodec addon.

make sure to use the of10 branch, and combine it with the binaries from the releases tab.

1 Like

VLC backend sounds great. I guess .mp4, .mxf, .mov(depending on the codec), and .webm should work on all platforms(tested with Windows and Linux)?

1 Like