Which Mac OSX webcam for L.A.S.E.R. Tag ?

Hello,

Since L.A.S.E.R. Tag was born in this area of the internet i thought i would post my problem here… :

Being a PC user I kinda got stuck using the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 on Mac OSX. On my lil’ PC laptop this camera does a great job with the L.A.S.E.R. Tag application, but on Mac OSX it fails completely (very low framerate / frustrating to tweak image to desired specs). Not even the ‘macam’ drivers solved the problem: the camera simply doesn’t get recognized.

Having given up any hope to get the Logitech cam to work properly, the following question remains:

Which Mac OSX webcam is best to use for L.A.S.E.R. Tag (and thus has manual focus, manual shutter / iris)?

And yes, i do want to use a webcam (cheap / portable).

greetings,

Floris

Floris,

I suggest you try the Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac! On the outside it looks identical to Quickcam Pro 9000 (except for the silver color), but inside its is quite different camera with more powerful processor which keeps high framerates even in very low-light conditions! I use it and am very satisfied with it! I also own a few Pro 9000’s and know exactly how bad they behave on Macs.

More info on this and other Mac-compatible webcams here http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/

Cheers,

Borut

Thnx for the reply; i already bought and tried the QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac. So far it works, although it seems to lack a lot of the tweakable settings the Windows version has…
I still have to test it with a laser-pen ‘in the field’ to see if it works without disabling the auto-focus. Seems that Apple and/or Logitech think that people dont want access to that feature… :S

Is the Sony PS3 Eye a good camera for Mac OS usage?

Yes its one of the best!

Thanks, Theo.

What about the Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac? It touts to have very good low light performance. Any experience with it, or comparison with the PS3 Eye?

no - sorry.
generally not a big fan of logitech cameras.

what is nice about the ps3 eye is that you can do a lot of manual settings with it which make it perfect for computer vision.

Great to know that, Theo. I’m researching just for that, a project with CV on it.
Based on your experience, I’ll ditch the (more expensive Logitech cam) and go for the PS3 Eye.
I’ll be doing motion tracking on the front of a video projection, so we don’t want a very light ambient.
What settings can be made on a PS3 Eye for optimal low light head tracking?