VideoInput - Vista 32bit - Assistance

Hey Folks,

I’m completely new to Openframeworks and coding on this level in general. I am used to compiling apps on linux/redhat etc… but it really doesn’t cut it… some of it makes sense but i think just enough to get me in trouble.

So i plan on using Openframerworks (Codeblocks) to build out a interactive projection
and i’m testing using my HP Webcam built into my laptop. I running the basic script first with VC 2008 just to get a scope on things…haha baby steps… who needs them…SIGH… haha

So the app builds and runs, i can bring up the camera controls and start or stop the camera with the app…but no video… I know this is a OF forum but i thought all you amazing folks would have a clue for me perhaps? Thank you in Advance.

Here is the Build output…

Command Lines

Creating temporary file “c:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\RSP00002229366956.rsp” with contents
[
/GL /I “src” /I “requiredLibs” /I “…\libs\videoInput” /D “WIN32” /D “NDEBUG” /D “_CONSOLE” /D “_UNICODE” /D “UNICODE” /FD /EHsc /MD /Fo"Release\" /Fd"Release\vc90.pdb" /W3 /c /Wp64 /Zi /TP “.\src\triangleApp.cpp”
]
Creating command line “cl.exe @“c:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\RSP00002229366956.rsp” /nologo /errorReport:prompt”
Creating temporary file “c:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\RSP00002329366956.rsp” with contents
[
/OUT:“C:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\videoInputBasicDemo.exe” /INCREMENTAL:NO /LIBPATH:“requiredLibs” /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:“Release\videoInputBasicDemo.exe.intermediate.manifest” /MANIFESTUAC:“level=‘asInvoker’ uiAccess=‘false’” /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /OPT:REF /OPT:ICF /LTCG /DYNAMICBASE:NO /MACHINE:X86 /NODEFAULTLIB:“atlthunk”

/NODEFAULTLIB:“LIBCMT” kernel32.lib dxguid.lib ole32.lib strmiids.lib uuid.lib videoInput.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib

“.\requiredLibs\dxguid.lib”

“.\requiredLibs\GlAux.Lib”

“.\requiredLibs\glfw.lib”

“.\requiredLibs\GlU32.Lib”

“.\requiredLibs\ole32.lib”

“.\requiredLibs\oleaut32.lib”

“.\requiredLibs\OpenGL32.Lib”

“.\requiredLibs\quartz.lib”

“.\requiredLibs\strmbasd.lib”

“.\requiredLibs\strmbase.lib”

“.\requiredLibs\strmiids.lib”

“.\requiredLibs\uuid.lib”

“.\Release\imageTexture.obj”

“.\Release\simpleApp.obj”

“.\Release\stdafx.obj”

“.\Release\videoInputBasicDemo.obj”

“.\Release\triangleApp.obj”
]
Creating command line “link.exe @“c:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\RSP00002329366956.rsp” /NOLOGO /ERRORREPORT:PROMPT”
Creating temporary file “c:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\RSP00002429366956.rsp” with contents
[
/outputresource:".\Release\videoInputBasicDemo.exe;#1" /manifest

“.\Release\videoInputBasicDemo.exe.intermediate.manifest”
]
Creating command line “mt.exe @“c:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\RSP00002429366956.rsp” /nologo”
Creating temporary file “c:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\BAT00002529366956.bat” with contents
[
@echo Manifest resource last updated at %TIME% on %DATE% > “.\Release\mt.dep”
]
Creating command line “”“c:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\BAT00002529366956.bat”""

Output Window

Compiling…
cl : Command line warning D9035 : option ‘Wp64’ has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release
triangleApp.cpp
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include\windef.h(125) : warning C4005: ‘APIENTRY’ : macro redefinition
c:\users\daddy\desktop\3d works\videoinput0.1995\videoinputsrcanddemos\vc2008-videoinputdemowithlib\src\glfw.h(77) : see previous definition of ‘APIENTRY’
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include\wingdi.h(21) : warning C4005: ‘WINGDIAPI’ : macro redefinition
c:\users\daddy\desktop\3d works\videoinput0.1995\videoinputsrcanddemos\vc2008-videoinputdemowithlib\src\glfw.h(93) : see previous definition of ‘WINGDIAPI’
.\src\triangleApp.cpp(94) : warning C4305: ‘argument’ : truncation from ‘double’ to ‘float’
.\src\triangleApp.cpp(95) : warning C4305: ‘argument’ : truncation from ‘double’ to ‘float’
.\src\triangleApp.cpp(97) : warning C4305: ‘argument’ : truncation from ‘double’ to ‘float’
.\src\triangleApp.cpp(98) : warning C4305: ‘argument’ : truncation from ‘double’ to ‘float’
Linking…
Generating code
Finished generating code
Embedding manifest…
Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning ‘cmd.exe’.

Results

Build log was saved at “file://c:\Users\Daddy\Desktop\3d works\videoInput0.1995\videoInputSrcAndDemos\VC2008-videoInputDemoWithLib\Release\BuildLog.htm”
videoInputBasicDemo - 1 error(s), 7 warning(s)

Well, maybe its little more complicated but I wil but I have to ask:
¿Did you follow the setup instructions for code::blocks on Windows?
http://www.openframeworks.cc/setup/codeblocks

sorry – can you back up a bit? I’m not sure if the video input stuff is helpful yet…

to be clear, your video camera wasn’t working with OF ?

a) did you try compiling and running the video grabbing example?
b) did you try looking at the list of devices that it outputs to the console, and seeing if your device is selected?
c) did you try amcap, does your device work in amcap?

thanks!
zach

Hey Guys…

Thanks for the reply!

The camera has the same response in Both Codeblocks and VC… The device detection screen shows the HP Webcam as detected and Amcap works fine. I tested FaceDetect by Fraunhofer and it works fine also mind its an already compiled working app.

I followed the linking with both apps and they appear to be working as they should.
The already compiled cw video file does the same thing as the VC build i processed…

Thanks for the help… thanks guys!

I’ve been putting some thought into this and i’m not sure why i’m getting VC involved when my goal was to do this completely in OF. I know i have a journey ahead of me but i’m hoping you guys can point me int he right direction with what i’m trying to do.

The goal is to create something that interacts with people based off their walking speed. I’d like for several different types of interactions to scroll as time goes on…say 15 mins of a graphic that follows and then it switches to a spooky silhouette per say. Recommendation on where to start and how to combine/link the features?

bare with me… i USED to be a quick learner… used to be., :wink:

[quote author=“chunkyd”]Hey Guys…

Thanks for the reply!

The camera has the same response in Both Codeblocks and VC… The device detection screen shows the HP Webcam as detected and Amcap works fine. I tested FaceDetect by Fraunhofer and it works fine also mind its an already compiled working app.

I followed the linking with both apps and they appear to be working as they should.
The already compiled cw video file does the same thing as the VC build i processed…

Thanks for the help… thanks guys![/quote]

Hey - sounds like it might be a bug with videoInput.

Can you paste the output of the program when it starts - it should output a bunch of debug info to the console about camera selection etc.

Can you also try this direct download of videoInput?
http://muonics.net/school/spring05/vide-…-0.1995.zip

There is a demo example in there - I am curious if it works for you.

Thanks,
Theo

[quote author=“theo”]Hey - sounds like it might be a bug with videoInput.

Can you paste the output of the program when it starts - it should output a bunch of debug info to the console about camera selection etc.

Can you also try this direct download of videoInput?
http://muonics.net/school/spring05/vide-…-0.1995.zip

There is a demo example in there - I am curious if it works for you.

Thanks,
Theo[/quote]

Hey Theo,

Thanks for the response… The link you sent is the version i downloaded and used.
i ran the videoInput Debug.exe with the same results. i can use the “R” and “S” keys to reset the camera or bring up the camera options.

here is the only output listed on the screen:

***** VIDEOINPUT LIBRARY - 0.1995 - TFW07 *****

VIDEOINPUT SPY MODE!

SETUP: Looking For Capture Devices
SETUP: 0) HP Webcam [VGA]
SETUP: 1 Device(s) found

SETUP: Setting up device 0
SETUP: HP Webcam [VGA]
SETUP: Couldn’t find preview pin using SmartTee
SETUP: Checking crossbar
SETUP: You are a webcam or snazzy firewire cam! No Crossbar needed
SETUP: Default Format is set to 640 by 480
SETUP: trying format RGB24 @ 320 by 240
SETUP: Capture callback set
SETUP: Device is setup and ready to capture.

SETUP: device[1] not found - you have 1 devices available
SETUP: this means that the last device you can use is device[0]

Thanks Again…

Very strange. Looks like a bug with videoInput maybe?
Can you send the exact model number of the webcam?

Also you might want to try updating your drivers or trying different ( XP ? ) drivers.

All the best,
Theo

HP Web Cam (Sonix ?)- Chicony Camera Driver Oct 08 -
It’s built-in and i couldnt find anymore info on it than that.

I updated the driver, it appears that the XP and Vista drivers are the same via the HP website. The camera seems to work with every app i’ve tried so far…so maybe the bug is my lack of knowledge! haha

I’ll try another camera this evening hopefully, its a USB webcam and see what happens…

Thanks for your help!

**update**

Tried the EZ CAM III and it does the same thing.

***** VIDEOINPUT LIBRARY - 0.1995 - TFW07 *****

VIDEOINPUT SPY MODE!

SETUP: Looking For Capture Devices
SETUP: 0) HP Webcam [VGA]
SETUP: 1) EZCam III
SETUP: 2 Device(s) found

SETUP: Setting up device 0
SETUP: HP Webcam [VGA]
SETUP: Default Format is set to 640 by 480
SETUP: trying format RGB24 @ 320 by 240

SETUP: Setting up device 1
SETUP: EZCam III
SETUP: Default Format is set to 352 by 288
SETUP: trying format RGB24 @ 640 by 480

***Update 2***

I decided to try the moviegrabber demo and it works! my cam pops up and it uses videoInput… so I’m confused haha