videoGrabberExample on Raspberry Pi 3 with v2.1 camera

I’m trying to run the videoGrabberExample on a Raspberry Pi 3, using a Raspberry Pi Camera version 2.1 connected to the dedicated SATA port.

The example compiles fine, and I can run it fine but i get a black rectangle instead of video, and i see this wraning

[warning] ofGstVideoUtils: update(): ofGstVideoUtils not loaded

I have already enabled the camera in the RPi Preferences, and I have already installed all the dependencies.
Are there some additional dependencies that are not installed with the install_dependencies script?

I am not a genius, but I did find this: http://openframeworks46.rssing.com/chan-51280768/all_p241.html

towards the bottom someone has the same problem as you. search for “ofGstVideoUtils” and you should find it.

on the next page they post they found a solution: http://openframeworks46.rssing.com/chan-51280768/all_p242.html

search for the same question they had posted “Problem playing mp4 h264 videos (GStreamer ?)”

their solution:

I did :

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0-10*
it installed a lot of stuff, including lots of KDE dependencies… but it works !

now i would like to know which was the missing package i was looking for !

I cannot guarantee this will work but it might solve your problem. I had similar issues getting a rPi camera to operate with open frameworks but it isn’t set up right now to test. Have you tried the add-on built specifically for the raspberry pi? It was really neat. You can find it mentioned here:

thank you @nosarious

I’m also not a genius and so I had actually done a hefty search of the forum before posting :slight_smile: as a result, I also installed a million additional gstreamer* related packages, but my RaspberyPi camera v2 still didn’t work.

I then tried the same app, with a PlayStation EYE USB camera and it works just fine.

So the solution is:
Don’t use the built in videoGrabberExample with the Raspberry Pi Camera V2; use that for USB cameras.

If you want to use the SATA Raspberry Pi Camera modules, use @jvcleave’s awesome ofxRPiCameraVideoGrabber instead:

This works out of the box for me; I have the verticaa sync artifact that people mention in the repo’s issue tracker and also noted in this thread in the OF forum

One more update for those who go down this rabbit hole:

This addOn is performing better for me:

Hi…i am a new user here. In my case i had similar issues getting a rPi camera to operate with open frameworks but it isn’t set up right now to test. Have you tried the add-on built specifically for the raspberry pi?

circuit assembly

No, I have not tried the add-on built specifically for the raspberry pi but this sounds like something I will want to try. Let me get back to you once done.

Am also facing the same problem. Someone help us out here.

What problem do you have? You can not use with default settings the normal videograbber with the piCamera, you will need to use ofxRPiCameraVideoGrabber or ofxCvPiCam as is mentioned in this thread