Video on a medium speed computer?

Hi’s

I’m still pretty new to oF and interested in working with video material. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz processor, 4 GB Memory, NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics card MacbookPro (running OSX 10.6.8).

I would like to use multiple videos (up to 5) at once modulating their reading position and playback speed and I’m wondering what’s the best way to go. I’ve done quite some reading on the topic but it’s still not clear what route to take so I have a few questions:

• I’ve read that it could be fast to load different frames of the video into textures with ofTexture. But since there is the setUseTexture method for ofVideoPlayer I thought it is maybe already doing this?

• What would be the best codec to use? I’ve read it might help to convert videos into the M-JPEG format? If that’s the way to go, any suggestions for software that does good conversion to this format?

Or should I maybe just forget about video with my computer?

I came a little further with some help on the oF IRC channel. I’ve been told I should be able to view 1920x1080 videos with ofVideoPlayer so I’m trying that as well as 1280x720 videos for some luck.

I have installed ffmpeg to convert my videos into mjpeg (or pjpeg not quite sure about the difference in ffmpeg commands). I seem to have succeeded with that, videos play back in QuickTime as well as VLC. But when I run the code there is no video displayed at all :frowning:

This is the command i’ve been using to convert with ffmpeg:
ffmpeg -i [input-path] -qscale:v 1 [output-path]

Maybe I’m doing something wrong there?

Any help would be wildly appreciated!

Got a lot further with some help on the IRC channel again :slight_smile:

Still a remaining question though:

The video doesn’t display without .setUseTexture(true). But without it I understood it would be more CPU friendly, right? Any suggestions why it doesn’t display without it?

Thanks!