Video/image processing for webcam feed

Hey all,

So, first of all: I’m incredibly new to all of this. I have coded for a couple of years, but have never worked with image processing. However, I’ve always kind of wanted to, and now I’m in a situation where I can.

Problem is that I have no idea where to start.

Ultimately what I want to do is show a video through a site that is captured through a webcam. Somewhere in between I want to process the streamed video and apply a filter to it. I recognize that that might not work out too well, and as a result I think just processing the image would be a neat start.

But like I said, I honestly have no idea where to start, wouldn’t even know which camera to buy that would actually grant me access to the stream, send images to the server, and then fetch those images from the site (all of that based on the images thing, video wouldn’t have that problem I guess).

I’ve been doing some research, and OF looks like a framework I would love to do more work with, and figure that this might be a good stepping stone, but yeah, any ideas, pointers, etc. would be much appreciated.

Hi & welcome

For a simple image filter you probably want to loop all pixels first. I’d recommend that you look at the video examples. eg this one: https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/blob/master/examples/video/asciiVideo/src/testApp.cpp#L51

There you can see how to loop through pixels and read their values.