Use OFx or alternative for container logistics game?

Hello,

I really like the ease of use, simplicity of the OFx framework and the large community. I did a very small pilot project for myself to get to know how to work with OFx and Addons, and I liked the system because of its simplicity.
For a personal project, I would like to create a 2D (side-viewed) game for mobile devices (I already have the idea in mind, and did some research and what I have in mind does not appear to exist yet) where the use is a crane operator. The game is about stacking and managing containers while at the same time avoiding damage to containers, so physics play a role. There are a few other aspects that i do not wish to name yet, which I think will make the game pretty interesting and innovative :smile:

However, I have doubts about creating the game in OFx since it is meant for creative coding in general, not specifically games. On the one hand, I do not expect to need a huge framework to help me build the game, on the other it might save me quite some time after some initial intellectual investment.

I expect to require the following (game) components and concepts:

• GUI. OFx has several GUI addon libraries i could use.

• time management. OFx has quite some time-related methods so i should be able to build a game time class with this.

• Scaling of user interface and graphics for different resolutions (nonscaled, @2x, @3x) etc. I have no idea yet how well OFx supports this, but I imagine this is nowadays supertrivial and required for any sensical mobile development so OFx must also have this?

• Custom fonts. OFx has this.

• Tweening. There are several Addons i could use.

• Level design. This is something I need to look at but this seems like general programming work (thinking of a maintainable data type and structure to encode levels with). I imagine levels to be side-viewed, partly stacked containers (physics boxes). The scene would behave somewhat similar to Angry Birds, i.e. it is moveable but has boundaries. The actual ‘level’ data would be the amount, type, location of containers, so the container layout. And maybe crane info if I will have different crane types, but that’s it.

• Platform compilation support. Another trivial thing that I think OFx has support for. However, I am using a Mac and thus Xcode to work with OFx. Is it possible for me to compile for Android? If so, how?

So basically, I think OFx has everything that i need to build my game. Is it O.K. to stick with OFx or should i choose for a different framework (targeting games more) ?

Thanks for any advice!

1 Like

IMO, it will definitely be more challenging to use OF than Unity3D, and you might end up with the same result.

So it depends on what you want, if you want to quickly build something that works with the least effort, use Unity (or other game based engine).

If you want to do more programming then go with OF, from the programming side it will be far more rewarding.

1 Like

I see. However, i think Unity3D is a) geared for 3D, and my game will be 2D. b) Unity is paid, right?
That doesn’t work for me very well unfortunately.

Are there any alternatives aside Unity that are good frameworks with a decent community and especially good documentation?

Thanks.

Hi there!

I agree with chuckleplant, it really depends on what/how you want to build, and what you want to gain from it. It’s possible to do a great game with OF. Check this recent post, an iOS game. Really cool!
So, if you are focused on OF, go for it! :smile:

They have been focusing on the 2D. A friend of mine is a game developer, crazy about 2D platforms, and he told me that they have been improving this. (He’s a reliable guy.) And they also have a free version. I think you can export for all supported platforms, but with fewer options.

This (and the other points you made) is also another a thing to consider… I’m a graphic designer and I think that if you want to give a cohesive visual feel and aesthetics to your game, you really have to do most of the code, specially for things like GUI. Most of the addons are great, but I think they are thought for a more “back-office” situation. You can check their code and technical aspects, of course.

Another issue is game mechanics. You’ll get a better feedback from game-development communities like Unity. Sure, with you are at ease with code, you can easily trans-code from C# or other languages.

I think that, if you go with OF, do install game-engines (to check how they solve stuff) and check specific game libraries (there’s a lot on HTML5 games).

Maybe my writing gives you a feeling of “don’t use OF”. It’s not meant to. It’s just to make you aware that most of the issues you will have, probably, will be better answered within a game development community.
Did you go to Unity/game development forums and made the same questions?

Anyhow, I hope this helps in some way. Good work! :wink:

Thanks for your elaborate reply.

What i would want to gain from making this game initially was C++ knowledge, however, I have to admit I really like higher-level languages more. Also I want to get some experience with building a game for mobile all by myself, from concept to assets to actually building it.

I agree on the points about visual look and feel of a game and game mechanics feedback.
I haven’t asked this question on the Unity platform, but I’ve taken a look at what Unity 2D promises and it sounds as if they have what I need.
Except that I can not use C++, but this is something I’m gladly willing to sacrifice if performance and usability are good enough, which Unity promises.

Thanks, will report back whenever I finally start working on this idea :smile:

1 Like