URGENT: [ error ] ofOpenALSoundPlayer: sfReadFile(): couldn't read "aSoundFile.wav" Floating point exception (core dumped)

Hi all ,
I receive the following error only when I try to run my app in release mode.

[ error ] ofOpenALSoundPlayer: sfReadFile(): couldn't read "<a aSoundFile.wav"
Floating point exception (core dumped)

Any ideas why ?

tha .wav plays fine in debug mode, from other players in linux.

Often the release mode vs debug mode bugs are due to uninitialised variables that happen to behave ok in debug (e.g. taking the previous value, or a nice zero) and in release mode they’ll just take whatever happens to be in that memory location at the time…

Maybe post more of your code where you load the file into the sound player?

2 Likes

I am building my project under 0.9.8 linux64 in ubuntu 16.04 and come up with the same error.
I tried to build examples/sound/soundPlayerExample, and run to get similar error:
[ error ] ofOpenALSoundPlayer: sfReadFile(): couldn’t read “data/sounds/1085.mp3”
Floating point exception (core dumped)

Could someone please give a hint?

Thanks!

Having the same problem here.
Any news about this?

I actually tried to run the ofSoundPlayer example and I get the same error. I guess the nature of this problem is not in my code but somewhere else…?

is this with an mp3 or wav? if an mp3 then you might need to run the install_codecs.sh script

It is an mp3. I could run wav and see if that works though.
but it would be good to have the mp3 working too.
is that in the folder where the dependencies are?
/home/pi/openFrameworks/scripts/linux/debian?

thanks!

Great, @arturo!
that was indeed the problem. Thank you!
I have just another generic question. Is there any reason that I could miss, that make me want to chose OF098 on Jessie over of OF084 on Wheezy if both seem to perform ok with my app?

Cheers

There’s several bugfixes and new features in 0.9.8 compared to 0.8.4 but if you are on 0.8.4 and everything works for you there might be no reason to change. The changelog is here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/0.9.8/CHANGELOG.md check mostly the 0.9.0 changes since that’s the latest major version, everything from there should be only bugfixes