I’ve been working with OF 0.8.4 in OSX with Xcode for a while using ofxAppGLFWWindowMulti and everything is awesome.
Trying to transpose one application to windows and I found huge problems!
installing 0.8.4 version on windows, the problems are:
- Code blocks setup support for OF 0.8.4 was removed from open frameworks.cc and it is difficult to install without knowing the requirements (it is no longer supported for versions above 0.9, but what about the older versions?).
- After installing code blocks mingw 13.12 with the supported open frameworks for mingw (I was luckily to find these files in a web site but do not know for what version) I can compile an empty example but when using any add-on I get compilation problems. Curiously I can compile add ons with 0.8.1 and code blocks mingw 13.12.
- I do not have Visual Studio 2012, so I can’t try this version
installing 0.9.3 then multiple problems arise:
- The new QTCreator does not work with Openframeworks
- QTCreator 3.xx works but I receive a lot of errors in compilation due to msys2 (complex to install, time consuming and with errors)
- Visual Studio 2015 works well
AlthoughI found a working way to compile OF 0.9.3 on Visual Studio 2015 I can’t use ofxAppGLFWWindowMulti any longer because the new version of OF includes a GLFWWindow. But this GLWindow is very different and I cannot find a way to manage dynamic window creation as I was doing before.
I’m aware of the advantages of upgrading OF 0.8.4 to 0.9.3. But for now, I just want to transpose my working application from OF 0.8.4 OSX to Windows and it seems that is quite impossible.
Why do we have always to upgrade??
To be honest, I’m quite afraid of upgrades. Every time I do a system upgrade I loose the support for device drivers, applications, add-ons or whatever.
When I was using iPhone 3G and upgrade to IOS 4.1 it was like killing the device. My iPad 1 is still with the original IOS 4 for that reason and it’s working well. I’ve never upgraded my Macbook retina and is working like a charm… although, many new versions are no longer supported for this OS.
Why should upgrade a working OF to a new version? If it was easy, I would do it instantly…