Ubuntu make shared object error

I created a of project in Windows using VS 2015 and was able to run it through the IDE. I wanted to build it and test it on Linux (Ubuntu) using this CMake addon.

I downloaded the OF Linux libraries and was able to generate the makefile using the addon. However, when I use that makefile the compilation fails with below error.

[ 95%] Linking CXX shared library ../bin/A01P01.app/Contents/Frameworks/libopenFrameworks.so
[ 95%] Built target static
 /usr/bin/ld: /home/srmocher/Desktop/of_v0.9.8_linux64_release/libs/poco/lib/linux64    /libPocoFoundation.a(Thread.o): relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against symbol `_ZN4Poco10ThreadImpl20_currentThreadHolderE' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
CMakeFiles/of_shared.dir/build.make:222: recipe for target '../bin/A01P01.app/Contents/Frameworks/libopenFrameworks.so' failed
make[2]: *** [../bin/A01P01.app/Contents/Frameworks/libopenFrameworks.so] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:141: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/of_shared.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/of_shared.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Does this mean I need to recompile the POCO sources with the -fPIC option?

I’m having similar problem linking poco “relocation … again symbol” fails.
How can we recompile with -fPIC ?

the install_dependencies.sh script should recompile poco with the correct settings, have you updated ubuntu recently or something like that?

yes #!@ running now Ubuntu 16.10
I recompiled successfully via ‘install_dependencies.sh’ but compiling my app still fails.
I also tried ‘./apothecary update poco’ without success :frowning:

can you try if the gcc6 version of the nightly builds works for you?