ubuntu 12.04 /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL

Hi, all,

I’m trying to compile some project on ubuntu 12.04 lowlatency kernel.
I’ve got install the amd drivers for my graphic card (AMD Radeon 6310) and I’ve got always this error when I do a make :

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL

The card is ok, I have test with glxgears and it’s run

I’ve searched on google and this forum but anybody have the same error.

Is anyone with an idea ?

have you ran the install_dependencies script?
https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/blob/master/scripts/linux/ubuntu/install-dependencies.sh

Yes,

I’have just run the install_dependencies script a second time and I’ve got the same error.

I think it’s mayby a symlink error of -lGL because yesterday I ran the script for bulding all examples (just after install amd drivers)and I can today run the bin for all examples.

Ok I’have find it was the libGl.so that was installed to another place.
I have done :

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so

and now it’s ok.

hm interesting. that may also be a solution to another problem I encountered, thank you. You haven’t changed the default paths, have you?

No it’s just a link to indicate the placement of the libGl on my computer for every application that need it. There is nothing to change in OF.

Yes I know. It’s just surprising that this link is needed in the first place, and I would like to find out why - the linker should find the library on its own. That’s why I asked if you maybe manually changed some paths, which could have been the explanation.

try using the config.make, MakeFile and addons.make from example folder. It solves most of the problems by using the similar structure of the example folder