Two ofTexture objects seem too many

Hi! I’m posting this here 'cause I don’t know if it’s a bug (most likely not), or my ignorance (probably so…:slight_smile:

Playing with MovieGrabberExample, I came to the following situation: I can’t draw two different textures on screen.

I added a new texture, and want to draw it just right to the image inversion this example draws. But I can just draw one (texture) or the other, not both at the same time. I just get a black square on the texture that draws second (note: the app draws first vidGrabber.getFrame(), and then the textures.)

Am I just blocked by the stupidest problem ever? (ab-so-lute-ly plausible:)

THX
Pablo

hi pablo,

no worries! can you post a zip of the code and we can take a look at what you are doing?

thanks
zach

Hi Zach, what part of the world are you at now? :frowning:

greetings from brooklyn!

aha – the problem is not with the texture, but with doing this call:

if (vidGrabber.isFrameNew()){  
 }  

twice in a row, because it’s basically a flag, which is getting set back to false after the first time that you call it.

}  

// this will not get called ... because now the frame isn't new....  
 }  

if you combine the code to update the texture under one isFrameNew call, it should work. can you try that and let me know if that works?

take care,
zach

A-ha! I new I was the “bugger”! :?
THX again
Pablo

no – I think it’s not clear in the documentation…

the problem is that we are trying to make one thing fit into another, ie, making a “callback” type approach fit into a looping approach. There are, as I see it, several ways we could have done it:

a) every call to arePixelsNew sets them to be “old” (this is what we did)
b) ask the user to set the flag to old, ie (videoGrabber.setPixelsOld() )
c) use the frame counter to know if we are on a new frame or not
d) set new or not new every time you call grabFrame()

it might be that it makes more sense to roll with D or C. we will take a look at it and see if that makes sense for both videoGrabbing and videoPlaying.

in the meantime, we’ll try to make the docs clear …

thanks !!
zach

Thanks so much for the feedback! You really help our projects move on.

I think documentation is always the best way to go. Please, say if you need anything. I’ll be glad to help.

Pablo