Trying to make ofxSyphon run

So should be an easy job: I’m trying to make ofxSyphon run in OF 0.8.4 in xCode6
My project looks like this:
ofApp.h

#pragma once
#include "ofMain.h"
#include "ofxSyphon.h"

class ofApp : public ofBaseApp{

public:
		void setup();
		void update();
		void draw();

void keyPressed(int key);
		void keyReleased(int key);
		void mouseMoved(int x, int y );
		void mouseDragged(int x, int y, int button);
		void mousePressed(int x, int y, int button);
		void mouseReleased(int x, int y, int button);
		void windowResized(int w, int h);
		void dragEvent(ofDragInfo dragInfo);
		void gotMessage(ofMessage msg);

ofxSyphonServer syphonServer;

};

and
ofApp.cpp

#include "ofApp.h"
//--------------------------------------------------------------
void ofApp::setup(){
    syphonServer.setName("Syphon Output");
}

//--------------------------------------------------------------
void ofApp::draw(){
        syphonServer.publishScreen();
}

this is all I’m trying to do for now. However I get the following error:

Parse issue: unknown type name 'QTVisualContextRef' 

This seems to be in the OF Video library.
Any idea what might be the problem?

Is this applicable? Are you running a 64 bit target? This can happen to project files sometime when you copy or move them.

I changed to 64 bit target as I got some other error when targeting 32 bit.
the 32 bit error message is:

ld: 9 duplicate symbols for architecture i386
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

any idea how to sort out this one?
I’d guess I need to target some different architecture. but which one?

64 bit is not currently supported by openFrameworks. But we’re working on it. See the github issues page for more up-to-date news.

For the duplicate symbols thing – make sure that you don’t have two copies of the same source listed in your project. Also, can you post which symbols are duplicated? It will probably be something like 123798798_main

I had that previously. now i redid the project making sure to only add the lib and src folder of the ofxsyphon.
next thing you know: it compiles (yeah!) BUT then

Thread 1: EXC_Breakpoint (code ...)

and this in the console:

dyld: Library not loaded: @loader_path/../Frameworks/Syphon.framework/Versions/A/Syphon
  Referenced from: /Users/suse/Desktop/of_v0.8.4_osx_release/apps/myApps/SaoPaulo/bin/SaoPauloDebug.app/Contents/MacOS/SaoPauloDebug
  Reason: image not found

This is a tricky bit with syphon. Basically if you look in the original example file, you’ll see a build stage that copies the Syphon.framework into the app bundle. Make sure your project file includes this copying stage so that Syphon.framework ends up where it should be.

1 Like

thanks a lot @bakercp! it’s not mentioned in the readme file so it’s basically impossible to find out…
thanks again!

1 Like

Update the README file and send them a Pull Request :smile: I’m sure they’d be happy to have the help.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m having problems with ofxSyphon: I followed the instructions on the Github page (adding the framework location, adding the copy files) but it still doesn’t work. Even creating a test file and doing nothing more than adding the library creates errors… As I am still a little unfamiliar with xcode, a step-by-step guide with screenshots would be great.
Thanks a lot!

I’m running openframeworks 0.8.4 on xcode 6 with the latest ofxSyphon

Hi Clagndashn! In general it’s much easier for us to help if you include the error messages you’re getting. Assuming you’re seeing something like:

dyld: Library not loaded: @loader_path/../Frameworks/Syphon.framework/Versions/A/Syphon ... Reason: image not found

The issue is the “copy files” build phase.

• Select your project in the file browser sidebar on the left, go to
    build phases, and expand the currently existing “Copy Files” build phase
    (you should see the GLUT.framework in there)
  • Drag the Syphon framework from the file browser sidebar into the “Copy Files” build phase (so it sits under GLUT)

Hi admsyn,
thank you for your reply! I finally managed to run my sketch - the problem seemed to be that the example files were included in the ofxSyphon folder. Xcode can’t seem to find Syphon.h (which was the error I kept getting) when example-Basic and example-ServerDirectory are around, even if one adds the framework search paths manually. Thanks again and excuse me if this was a trivial problem - as I said, I’m a beginner to Xcode…