tips on recovering from a crash while in fullscreen

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any tips how to recover from a hang when in fullscreen! (on OSX)

Every now and again, when I think the app is stable, I run in fullscreen to see what its like… and sometimes it crashes (or freezes - spinning beachball). And I cannot get out of it. I try cmd+alt+esc, but the force quite dialog comes up behind the app so I cannot see. I press F9 to do expose and I can see it for a split second, and I try to do up/down blindly trying to select it in the force quit dialog without seeing it and pressing enter, force quiting random apps until maybe I close my app. Usually I have to force a shutdown… is there a better way? (apart from never running fullscreen?)

The secret is to quit xcode first.
You have to do it blind though!

Apple-Tab to Xcode (should be one apple-tab away)
Then Apple-Q, to quit xcode.
Then either the frozen app will just quit as it is the xcode debugger that is preventing it from dying - or then Force Quit (blind again : )

There might also be an option though to not launch the debugger on a crash - though I find it quite useful. Best just to avoid fullscreen while developing -> or hook it up to a key press.

Hope that helps,
Theo

Hi Theo,

Apple-Tab to Xcode (should be one apple-tab away)
Then Apple-Q, to quit xcode.

Thanks, thats seems like the best option I think. Its just a shame that there isn’t anything like ctrl+alt+delete on mac that takes over the screen as well! (ctrl+alt+esc does not!)

[Best just to avoid fullscreen while developing -> or hook it up to a key press. ]
Yea true, I have fullscreen toggle on F, and just occasionally switch to fullscreen - and sods law thats usually when the crashes happen!

I’ve had some luck with apple-tabbing into xcode and then hitting command-period to kill the program

also, if you use desktop-switching on 10.5 and have key-commands for it, this makes it much easier if you get lost, since you can switch to another desktop and then apple-tab to xcode when you can see what you’re tabbing to