The case for why museums should support the developement of OF

I work for the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh and recently attended an OF documentation sprint at the University of Denver. The museums were encouraging, but did not get that openFrameworks is relevant to them and their advancement.

I wrote this post about what OF is, who uses it, and why museums should care.

If you have any examples or thoughts on this topic, please share. It makes sense that museum administrators would find the connection between themselves and the development of a C++ framework obtuse, but I think in the case of OF there is a clear connection. I just want the case to be out there for the future.

Here are some neat museum projects made in OF for starters:
Voyagers at the National Maritime Museum
Shooting pirates also at the National Maritime Museum
Connected Worlds by Design I/O
Gallery One by Local Projects
Color the Temple at the MET by Matt Felsen

7 Likes

Hello Caroline,

I totally agree!
In fact, I was using openFrameworks for Chaos Out of Order, my thesis project about a Chinese calligraphy exhibition I curate and design :)))

I am using oF for an interactive installation, Write Yourself, that allows visitors to trace or write their own Chinese characters generated from their posture and also to achieve the physical movement Chinese calligraphy involves. The characters they write would evaporate as a symbol of the fading importance and neglected attention of Chinese calligraphy in the modern world.
There is some problem with the stability of it and I wish I could make it running more smoothly in a museum context!

Cheers,
Karen

1 Like