Sound module

Hello,

My name is Inês and for my masters’ thesis I’m studying a tool called Marsyas. It stands for “Music Analysis, Retrieval and Synthesis for Audio Signals”, and it is an open source software framework for audio processing with specific emphasis on Music Information Retrieval applications.

The idea is to evaluate whether or not Marsyas is a good option for filling the sound gap in creative tools like openFrameworks. And I really need your help. :slight_smile:

People when exploring sound with image processing usually use programs like Max/MSP to take care of the audio. What I would like to know is:

• When developing creative applications that use sound, which tools do you use?
  • What is missing in tools like openFrameworks/… that would require using other sound tools to produce those type of apps?

If there’s any comments or suggestions you would like to make I will
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Inês

i made some dj software and used fmod for the sound functionality. the openframework implementation only scratches the surface of the fmod library so it can do things like play, stop, pause, change speed, fade over speaker channels etc.

something that there isnt (or wasnt last july) is openframework functionality to provide beat detection (and subsequently bpm values).

the spectrum analyser dislays the sound spectrum as very bass heavy, im not entirely sure if its accurate or if spectrum analysers we see on stereo equipment are biased in favour of making a more flat response for humans to read it.

also, using fmods speed function can produce audible artifacts as data can be missed, so interpolation is needed.

everything ive mentioned can be implemented using fmod however so the of sound implementation can just be worked on so i couldnt say if there is any gap in funciontality. im fairly sure fmod can retrieve the music information, maybe it would be unintuitive though.

i’m going to agree with mr croc, OF is still getting started when it comes to sound.

with images, we have tools like opencv and shaders that are exposed pretty well.

but, for comparison, you can’t currently retrieve the samples from a sound file, or even know how long the sound file is.

i still think OF is a great environment for plugging things together, but if you’re working with sound i would encourage you to focus on learning tools like Marsyas in whatever environment the Marsyas developers use most often.