Sound files loading inderpendantly of the source code folder

I am trying to make a standalone app. However the sounds are missing when use the app on another machine without my source code in my OF folder.

I see that the normal way of getting sounds is from the bin/data folder of the source file, and to this end the generation of each new code requires you to give position to the app to access the folder your OF folder is in.

All the examples I have seen seem to use this method. However there is a sound folder in the openFrameworks folder inside Xcode with things like ofFmodSoundPlayer in it.

I suspect this will give access to including sound files already stored inside the Xcode for the app. Are there any examples of using the so that the sound files can be independent of the source code.

Hi @Grumpy_Mike , ofUtils::ofSetDataPathRoot() might be helpful to set the path of the data folder to a predetermined location. Also, I often use an ofDirectory the access media files from a folder for various different oF apps (in psudeo-code):

// in ofApp.h
    const std::string path = "/path/to/media/files/";
    ofDirectory directory;
    ofImage image;

// in ofApp::setup()
    directory.allowExt("jpg");
    directory.listDir(path);
    directory.sort();
    image.load(directory.getFile(0));

Thanks for the reply.
I am a beginner with OF and I am not sure I followed what you were doing.
I set the path to /scr/sounds/ and I put my sound folder in the scr folder but I got an error of source directory does not exist.
Also I am not sure how to use ofUtils::ofSetDataPathRoot() When I call this in the ofApp.h I get an undeclared identifier error.

Hey Mike, for the ofDirectory code above, an absolute path can be specified, though there may be a way to specify a relative path. So, on my linux laptop it will be something like home/chilina/oFImages/source/. The path will be different for different users, and on mac and windows of course.

ofSetDataPathRoot() needs a path as an argument. An absolute path will work, as so will a path that is relative to the location of the data folder. So, these are the same folder location for me:

// absolute path
    ofSetDataPathRoot("/home/chilina/oFData/data/");
    // relative path: "oF folder/apps/project folder/project/bin/"
    ofSetDataPathRoot("../../../../../ofData/");

I find the relative path notation confusing, so I tend to stick to using absolute paths. Also, ofToDataPath() will return a string with the location of the data folder (relative or absolute depending on the argument passed).

Thanks.
The thing is, that I want to run this app I have written on a machine that does not contain the source code, and so there will be no data folder to point to. All it can possibly point to is a location inside the app. Am I right in thinking that there is no way to do this because the path to get a sound is baked into OF to point somewhere outside the app?

If I move a compiled app from my oF folder to another location in the directory tree and run it, a call to ofDirectory::getAbsolutePath() on an empty directory will get the correct location of the /bin directory for the app. So, I suppose you could use something like that to establish where the application resides in the directory structure.

Edit: Also 1 more thought on this. Using ofxXmlSettings is kind of a fun way to have data (like strings) stored in a file outside of the app. So you could probably work out something with that too, where an app acquires its path to a folder of sound files from an .xml file.