Somehow, from one build to another, FreeImage.h is lost?

I am building my project for the most of the day from the command line (make Debug), and it was building fine (Ubuntu Linux). Then I tried adding some define variables to config.make, it didn’t quite turn out as I wanted (although it did build), so I restored files from git. And now, suddenly, I cannot compile anymore:

/path/to/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworks/graphics/ofImage.cpp:5:23: fatal error: FreeImage.h: No such file or directory

However, file is there:

$ find openFrameworks/ -name FreeImage.h
openFrameworks/libs/FreeImage/include/FreeImage.h

I can see that openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/config.linux.common.mk has:

PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/FreeImage/%

… which means it should be excluded? But, that file is like that, untouched?

What could have possibly happened?

EDIT: Now I can’t even compile via:

cd openFrameworks/scripts/linux/
./compileOF.sh

… with the same error - and usually that was the first thing that worked?

What the hell happened…

I think I figured out what happened - I had my openFrameworks folder in the same location for both my Ubuntu 32-bit, and for my Ubuntu 64-bit. The Ubuntu 32-bit probably had sudo apt-get install libfreeimage-dev installed, while the 64-bit didn’t, and so generated the above message - once I installed libfreeimage-dev, the file could compile - but it is probably better to build freeimage via apothecary, as noted here: Building the FreeImage lib for PIE and armv7 … except there’s no linux64 target in the apothecary formula:

apothecary$ ./apothecary -t linux64 FreeImage
/path/to/openFrameworks/scripts/apothecary/ostype.sh
 Missing lib build target (maybe you wanted "core"). See help: 'apothecary -h'.

… however, it looks like the library will download with this hack in the FreeImage.sh formula:

--- formulas/FreeImage/FreeImage.sh.old    2017-09-28 20:04:34.795745288 +0200
+++ formulas/FreeImage/FreeImage.sh    2017-09-28 19:55:12.325557715 +0200
@@ -7,7 +7,7 @@
 # Makefile build system, 
 # some Makefiles are out of date so patching/modification may be required

-FORMULA_TYPES=( "osx" "vs" "win_cb" "ios" "android" "emscripten")
+FORMULA_TYPES=( "osx" "vs" "win_cb" "ios" "android" "emscripten" "linux64")

# define the version
 VER=3170 # 3.16.0
@@ -335,6 +335,8 @@
         mv libfreeimage.a $BUILD_DIR/FreeImage/Dist/
         cd $BUILD_DIR/FreeImage
         #rm -rf $BUILD_DIR/FreeImagePatched
+    elif [ "$TYPE" == "linux64" ] ; then
+    make -j${PARALLEL_MAKE} -f Makefile.gnu
  fi
 }

@@ -387,6 +389,11 @@
         fi
         mkdir -p $1/lib/$TYPE
         cp -rv Dist/libfreeimage.a $1/lib/$TYPE/
+    elif [ "$TYPE" == "linux64" ] ; then
+      cp -v Dist/*.h $1/include
+      mkdir -p $1/lib/$TYPE
+      cp -v Dist/libfreeimage.a $1/lib/$TYPE/
+      #~ cp -v Dist/libfreeimage*.so $1/lib/$TYPE/
  fi    

# copy license files

… and stuff seems to compile with this - but it won’t link… EDIT: actually, the linux64 build does not link, if I repeat the build process for Android, then it links - I think the reason is that in for an android build, in the link step, the static library openFrameworks/libs/FreeImage/lib/android/armeabi-v7a/libfreeimage.a is included directly - while for the linux64 build, we have -lfreeimage, which would require a shared object library to be present on the system. I think that might be due to the entry in openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/config.linux.common.mk:

PLATFORM_LIBRARIES += freeimage

… and for instance openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/ios/CoreOF.xcconfig has:

LIB_FREEIMAGE = "$(OF_PATH)/libs/FreeImage/lib/ios/freeimage.a"

… while I think the relevant for Android is in openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/android/.cproject:

<option id="gnu.cpp.link.option.libs.635402611" name="Libraries (-l)" superClass="gnu.cpp.link.option.libs" valueType="libs">
  ... <listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="freeimage"/>

… and so, if I hack the config.linux.common.mk file like this (note, commenting PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS is important, otherwise the correct include specifications are not generated):

--- openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/config.linux.common.mk.orig    2017-09-28 20:39:51.905910340 +0200
+++ openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/config.linux.common.mk    2017-09-28 22:05:20.288516465 +0200
@@ -248,7 +248,7 @@
 PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/quicktime/%
 PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/videoInput/%
 PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/freetype/%
-PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/FreeImage/%
+#PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/FreeImage/%
 PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/assimp/%
 PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/glut/%
 PLATFORM_CORE_EXCLUSIONS += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/rtAudio/%
@@ -311,7 +311,7 @@
     PLATFORM_LIBRARIES += pthread
 endif

-PLATFORM_LIBRARIES += freeimage
+#PLATFORM_LIBRARIES += freeimage
 PLATFORM_LIBRARIES += rtaudio
 PLATFORM_LIBRARIES += boost_filesystem
 PLATFORM_LIBRARIES += boost_system
@@ -328,6 +328,7 @@
 PLATFORM_STATIC_LIBRARIES += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/poco/lib/$(ABI_LIB_SUBPATH)/libPocoJSON.a
 PLATFORM_STATIC_LIBRARIES += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/poco/lib/$(ABI_LIB_SUBPATH)/libPocoXML.a
 PLATFORM_STATIC_LIBRARIES += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/poco/lib/$(ABI_LIB_SUBPATH)/libPocoFoundation.a
+PLATFORM_STATIC_LIBRARIES += $(OF_LIBS_PATH)/FreeImage/lib/$(ABI_LIB_SUBPATH)/libfreeimage.a

# shared libraries 
 PLATFORM_SHARED_LIBRARIES =

… then finally also the linux64 builds fine, and uses the previously apothecary-build static library.