SOLVED! :))))))))) ORIGINAL KINECT FOR WINDOWS + WINDOWS 10 64bit?

What are you trying to do exactly? The kinect examples that come with openframeworks should have the driver bundled, so you should uninstall the kinect sdk and then go to device manager and select the kinect (whatever drivers it has) and uninstall device (then check the box to delete the driver). You may need to do this twice on your setup.

The instructions you have followed are for replacing the original microsoft driver with a libusb driver. You should not need this to work with the kinect and the basic openframeworks examples.

There are some addons that may use the kinect differently and have different references to the libusb driver.

I am trying to install XBOX360 Kinect to Windows 10, so forget everything
Can u tell me exact steps as if I am starting over

Yes but what are you trying to do with it, are you just trying to use the examples that use ofxKinect that is bundled with openframeworks?

Let’s just say for the sake of argument he’s using it for motion capture. What ever to get the thing working, pretend that’s the bare minimum.

I’m still looking for the exact steps too

If you want to use skeleton tracking, there are not so many options. For the kinectV2 you can use this: https://github.com/pierrep/ofxNI2 on all platforms, and on windows you can use this: https://github.com/elliotwoods/ofxKinectForWindows2

For the older Kinect you can look at this, https://github.com/hiroMTB/ofxNuitrack. There were a lot of older add-ons for doing this, but as the camera reached end of life so many years ago and openframeworks has changed so much in those years, it may be difficult to get something working. You can also try the https://github.com/gameoverhack/ofxOpenNI with a version of openframeworks from when this was made (maybe 0.8.4 will work). You can also browse the forks of this report and look for one with recent activity and see if it has been updated for the current openframeworks.

1 Like
Kinect 1414, OpenNi2 & Nite, Windows 10, OF 0.10.0

Regarding Kinect V1, I found that in the previous version of windows or Linux, ofxNi2 is way more stable and easy to use than ofxOpenNI.
Having said that, I can´t get it working correctly on Windows 10. Could anyone got the ofxNI2 addon for Kinect V1 working for Windows 10? As far as I know Kinect SDK v1.8 must be installed under compatibility mode for Windows 8 (since it doesn´t work on Windows 10).
I had it working randomly, so if anyone knows another ofxNI2 fork or any tweak I should do, I appreciate any comments. Thanks.

To use the open no based add-ons you do not need the SDK installed.

Can you elaborate a bit more about this, please? According to this ofxNI2 addon, the SDK is necessary (Windows 10).

Ok, I just had a look at that fork of ofxNI2 and it does say that. I don’t have any time to test that right now, but it seems a bit contrary to the wy openNI works. Some time ago there was a project that was made with the help of Microsoft engineers, it ended up in an addon called ofxKinectCommonBridge. The original version has not been updated to work with later versions of openframeworks, but there is a fork with some more recent activity.

I am guessing you have tried a lot of things already, but I would give this a go (so uninstall all kinect drivers and follow this from scratch - there is a pretty good how-to guide on the repo’s read me).

This is not a cross-platform solution, and it does rely on the windows driver and SDK. In my experience though, this provides some better functionality, things like the coordinate mapper are really fun. This repo has a lot of examples. Again, I don’t have time to test this and don’t know if it will work out of the box, but as you are on windows and using a very old kinect this may be a good place to start.

Thanks for your reply, and for taking the time to find an addon that could work. I will try it later this week. As you said, I tryed many things, the issue seems to be in the SDK since it’s not compatible with Windows 10. Nonetheless if this addon happens to work, I will post something about it.
Best!

Just to say I couldn’t get ofxKinectCommonBridge working either. The Kinect SDK 1.7 - the one admits my Windows 10- doesn´t work with this addon. Actually any of the SDK example binaries doesn´t work. I will keep the app running on Linux, which work perfectly. Thanks anyway, it worth giving a try.
Regards.

After much hustle I just got it to work. Running Kinect 360 via Skanect on a W10 x64. My workaround was to install the “Kinect for Windows RUNTIME v1.8” in compatability mode for windows 7 (do this before running the driver installation file) and then running Skanect in compatability mode for windows 7 as well. It did not work with only Skanect in compatability mode. The driver had to be installed that way as well.

EDIT: And I run the program in admin mode.

@Beram Which drivers did you install and how? thanks!