SOLVED! :))))))))) ORIGINAL KINECT FOR WINDOWS + WINDOWS 10 64bit?

helo, I am still struggling to simply set up my kinect to this nuc thing i bought…

my goal is: simply set up a WINDOWS kinect on a windows 10 pro environment

I tried with ubuntu first but got weird errors with receiving data so I gave up.

After installing windows 10 I plugged the kinect and pointed the device into the inf folder/

(note that windows automatically points for audio and video to the same directory)

I clicked compile and got a runtime error with missing dll.

I first tried to force the .dll to the bin directory of the app (only tried the video dll and sys files . but with no success I just got another dll error saying that dll is not for this system,

after some googling I tried a small app called zadiq that was recomented

I plugged it in and clicked install a couple of times for the pending devices and it claimed that it installed “successfully”

nevertheless same dll error nothing changed except from the fact that kinect now no longer appears as uninstalled in the device manager list

I tried to look up on how to set it up with openNI but ALL the tutorials I stumbled across have broken links that point to apple website… (!!)

I am real desperation I just want to setup a kinect on this nuc and get on with my project…
any pointers will be greately appreciated…

Note that all these years when I compiled stuff on windows I used Codeblocks… So there is the VS barrier as well…
But I am pretty sure this error is not related to linking stuff in VS…

Maybe it is my kinect that is the problem
maybe the dlls in the master branch are for different kinect version?

…But it works under OSX just fine.

ps I also downloaded

KinectSDK-v2.0_1409-Setup
KinectRuntime-v1.6-Setup

tried to install them but couldn’t figure out how to use it with OF

‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Users\a\Downloads\of_v0.9.3_vs_release\examples\addons\kinectExample\bin\kinectExample_debug.exe’. Symbols loaded.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\opengl32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp140d.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\concrt140d.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\vcruntime140d.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Users\a\Downloads\of_v0.9.3_vs_release\examples\addons\kinectExample\bin\FreeImage.dll’. Module was built without symbols.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ws2_32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nsi.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\glu32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ddraw.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dciman32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ucrtbased.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\windows.storage.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel.appcore.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\SHCore.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\powrprof.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\profapi.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\crypt32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msasn1.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Users\a\Downloads\of_v0.9.3_vs_release\examples\addons\kinectExample\bin\fmodex.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\IPHLPAPI.DLL’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wsock32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msacm32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winnsi.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmmbase.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘kinectExample_debug.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0xd40 has exited with code -1073741515 (0xc0000135).
The thread 0x116c has exited with code -1073741515 (0xc0000135).
The thread 0xec4 has exited with code -1073741515 (0xc0000135).
The program ‘[8088] kinectExample_debug.exe’ has exited with code -1073741515 (0xc0000135) ‘A dependent dll was not found’.

OK GOT A BREAKTHROUGH!! …

“breakthrough” that is…

finally managed to install the libusb drives and solve the dll error

1. download the zadiq app
  2. download the libfreenect inf folder from latest branch

run the app as admin

select the kinect camera

but here is the twist

DO NOT USE THE default libusb drivers that the app tries to install, (like it says in the README FILE)

point directly into the correct folder of the 64 bit .sys and dll
like in the old instructions (in the INF folder inside ofxkin/platfrm/windws)

this will successfully install the drivers :slight_smile: so easy if you know how to do it :slightly_smiling:

NOW…

The BAD NEWS

is that I get a similar error I got under UBUNTU!!! WTF!!!

see the above pictures and let me know what you think

I will post more debugging data as soon as possible!

can it be a windows authorization thing?

:cry: ORIGINAL KINECT FOR WINDOWS,

ANYBODY EVER GOT IT TO WORK?

I CANNOT JUST BUY A NORMAL KINECT because where I live it takes a month to get plus it will cost a fortune just for shipping,. …. :disappointed_relieved:

I can arrange a team-viewer if anybody wants to take a look

Guys this is unbelievable …… FUCKING… UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I UNINSTALLED THE KINECT FROM THE DEVICE MANAGER……

clicked Delete the driver…

-restarted

Then out of curiosity to see what Error I would get this time I run the example….

I still cannot believe it… but miraculously it worked!!!
WTF!!!

WHAT THE FUCK!!!
sorry…

I’ve been trying to make this work for 2 MONTHS NOW…

I am scared to quit and run it again… I am afraid it will never work again!!!

lol… it was just a drivers issue after all…

OfxKinect addons doesn't linking libusb0.dll

Interesting. I too want to use a Kinect for a project. Still very much in the reading phase.

Why do you swear?

NT

it’s not a swear :blush: it’s my victory roar…

I recently bought an i7 NUC and started working for a small project on my spare time and I’ve been very stressed because instead on focusing on my code I was struggling to set it up for 2 months.

at first I installed ubuntu but there was a problem with the usb3.0 ports *it worked FINE on my other 2.0 ubuntu machine. (celeron mini pc)

so i decided to use windows and also take advantage of the IR of the NUC

… I think the Readme file for windows is far from clear and it leaves A LOT OF THINGS in chance for some windows systems.

I was lucky when I tested my kinect a few years ago and got it right …

but this time around it was a struggle

here is what worked for me:

a) never connect the kinect for the first time if you are online.

b) download the zadiq app open it

go offline.

c) run the app as admin

d) connect the kinect

e) DO NOT INSTALL THE DEFAULT libusb-win32( v1.2.6.0 ) DRIVERS THE APP and the openframeworks. README recommends because it didn’t work for me that way I got the dll error. I think it only works for 32bit machines

f) point the app to the kinect drivers inside the inf folder in the ofxkinect addon.

note : be offline the entire time.
do not allow windows to install its shitty drivers

g) try the example, if it doesn’t work and you don’t get the dll then you have the shitty windows drivers installed and it conflicts, go to device manager and uninstall the kinect and delete the drivers
so that you avoid conflicts

restart and try again. to run the app. (don’t install anything again) if it doesn’t work and you get dll error repeat installation till it does.

THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO GET IT WORK.

Pro tip

if you haven’t got a PC or a kinect yet and you are going to buy new equipment anyway…

buy a mac mini or another osx device. - it works straight up. plus you get to code in XCODE not VS or whatever other sub-par IDE.

unless you don’t value your time

Thanks very much dude for you solution! i have f// kinect for windows, and i thought it impossible, run it on my laptop with win10. Now it work!

Windows 10 64bit / Visual Studio 2015 Comuunity / Kinect Xbox 360 (original)
Step by step how to install drivers for working with libfreenect
:slight_smile:

0- Download Zadiq app: http://zadig.akeo.ie and open it (as admin)
1- Go offline
2- Plug Kinect
3- Go to Device Manager in your computer
4- Uninstall all of the libusbK drivers if there are still any that are installed automatically
5- In Zadiq click “list all devices” and “advanced mode” under options menu
6- click the folder icon next to driver and select the folder openFrameworks\addons\ofxKinect\libs\libfreenect\platform\windows\inf
7- repeat the steps 7.1 to 7.3 for Xbox motor, camera and audio
7.1- From the list of devices drop down menu select Xbox Motor NUI
7.2- In the driver list to be replaced to (right side of the green arrow) select “libusb-win32 (v1.2.6.0)”
7.3- Click “Reinstall driver”
DONE!

Hi,

I was facing driver problem in Win 10. Followed this tutorial to install old version drivers for Win10. The link is not for Kinect camera but its helpful to install the drivers.

Thanks to all for contributing.

Hi everyone

OK there are many replies for this

But I tried them but they seem just not working.

Are all of these solutions for installing Kinect 360 working on windows 10 64bit?

Can someone please help me install it ?

I also ran into similar driver errors recently on an install where I was using three NUCs, three KinectV2s, and an OF app that relied on ofxKinectForWindows2. I found that the easiest way to solve this problem was to install a full version of VisualStudio2017 on each of the run machines. After installing that and the Kinect2SDK these driver errors cleared themselves up. I’m not sure if a similar approach would work with the original Kinect but it might be worth a shot.

Hope this helps.
-d

Got it! Let me try this one. Hope it will work for me. Been using Kinect V2 before, hope this one will work out. Go2top.

I was also having issues with the Kinect 360 model 1414 on Windows 10 and 64 bit. I tried installing the newest drivers using zadig as described in the ofxKinect folder, but it didn’t work. I found this post, installed the older drivers and now it works great. https://github.com/shiffman/OpenKinect-for-Processing/issues/73#issuecomment-330666010