Small trouble with projectGenerator on Linux

Hi all,

Just wanted to report this. I’m on Ubuntu 14.04.3, and tried building this:

$ (cd openFrameworks/; git log -1 --decorate)
commit da00a82d5a0f312d595a914583b6b2ce4a00a3ca (HEAD, origin/master, origin/HEAD, master)
Author: arturo castro <arturo@openframeworks.cc>
Date:   Wed Sep 16 18:41:19 2015 +0200
$ (cd openFrameworks/apps/projectGenerator/; git log -1 --decorate)
commit 45e830db319df6c6b99c243018ab42ea5ac3b3cf (HEAD, origin/master, origin/HEAD, master)
Author: arturo castro <arturo@openframeworks.cc>
Date:   Thu Sep 10 09:51:46 2015 +0200

So, after compiling openFrameworks via compileOF.sh, I tried building projectGenerator via compilePG.sh (both in openFrameworks/scripts/linux/). Both ran succesfully, but at the end of compilePG.sh, the executable openFrameworks/apps/projectGenerator/projectGeneratorSimple/bin/projectGeneratorSimple gets copied to openFrameworks/projectGenerator/projectGenerator.

So, if I just run the .../bin/projectGeneratorSimple, then everything works fine.

However, if I run the openFrameworks/projectGenerator/projectGenerator - even if it is the same executable - it fails to find addons, etc.

I was poking in this a bit, and I think the reason is that in both executables, the same settings file is used; in particular:

$ grep appTo openFrameworks/apps/projectGenerator/projectGeneratorSimple/bin/data/settings/projectGeneratorSettings.xml 
<appToRoot>../../../../</appToRoot>
$ grep appTo openFrameworks/projectGenerator/data/settings/projectGeneratorSettings.xml 
<appToRoot>../../../../</appToRoot>

I think, four levels up ../../../../ should correctly bring us up to the openFrameworks root, if the executable is in openFrameworks/apps/projectGenerator/projectGeneratorSimple/bin/projectGeneratorSimple, but not if it is in openFrameworks/projectGenerator/projectGenerator.

Anyways, just wanted to report this,
Cheers!

the project generator simple is deprecated now, the downloadable packages come with a new version of the project generator, you can get it from the nightly builds if you need.

i’ve just removed the part of that script that compiles the old project generator.

also that scripts installs a command line tool, you can run it from anywhere like:

projectGenerator pathToProject -a"ofxAddon1,ofxAddon2,ofxAddon3"
1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, @arturo - good to know what the status is on this.

Cheers!