Setting up Raspberry Pi 3 B with OpenFrameworks

I just set up my Rsapberry Pi 3 B and now I am trying to connect it to openFrameworks. I am following this tutorial https://openframeworks.cc/setup/raspberrypi/raspberry-pi-getting-started/ but I get an error on the step where I need to install the necessary packages. I was previously also getting an error on the dowloading openFrameworks step but then I just did that step manually (without using the Shell) and I think that’s fine now, hopefully no problems there. Any suggestions?

Hi.
Can you post the error please ?

The steps in getting started doc are slightly outdated. I had success in compiling openFrameworks on raspberry pi by following these [steps].(Compiling OF in raspbian Stretch).

There’s an even newer version with oF 0.10 details. I have no idea why it doesn’t show up on the website yet.

Hey,
If you allow me, I really don’t think all of that is necessary anymore. The script has been updated to automate the process. (That’s the point of computation, right ?) :wink:
And also the part where you need to:

cd /home/pi/openFrameworks/scripts/linux/debian
sudo ./install_dependencies.sh

has not changed a bit.

If no errors are posted, my blind suggestion would be to make sure you have the latest version,
OF 0.10.X
download from here
armv6 for Raspberry Pi.
I think that should do since the tutorial bring you OF 0.9.8

Ok I had to do a clean reinstall of openframework on raspbian lite (headless).
Can you believe my SD card melted because it was not properly put (i guess) ??

of_v20180811_linuxarmv6l_nightly.tar.gz
Raspbian release date: **2018-06-27** Stretch

And there is actually indeed a step that needs to be added:
Maybe because I also downloaded manually OF, uncompressed and put it via SSH, the permissions were not right on this file. Solution:

//do
sudo chmod a+x install_dependencies.sh
//before
sudo ./install_dependencies.sh

I’m now compiling OF.
other tip:
I add -j2 option to make Release of openFrameworksCompiled
It will take half the time to compile. I have a fan directly on my Pi…

Thank you so much. After hours of searching you guys’ have finally made it work!

One last question, what is the proper way to create my own project? I tried to follow the instructions at the end of the website ayros (https://github.com/openframeworks/ofSite/blob/master/content/setup/raspberrypi/Raspberry-Pi-Getting-Started.md) posted but I am getting a “No suchfile or directory” error message

No problem,
I find that managing files and folders is pretty annoying on the pi.
I use a SSH SFTP client (Bitwise on Windows, there are many)
then I can manage everything smoothly, copy paste directories, edit files on the fly, etc…

The tutorial suggest that you copy one of the example you want to modify (start with) to the ‘myApp’ folder before working on it.

I’m very lazy at this, I usually make a new project on my Mac with project generator set to Makefile Arm6 and then I just ftp it over to my Pi’s oF directory. Sometimes I also write code on my Mac and then sync the Pi w/ my Mac through GitHub. Yeah, it’s not the most efficient way, but it works for me ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The correct way is to duplicate the emptyExample folder in the myApps folder, rename it to your project and then use the files inside its src folder to write your app. Basically this step in the doc, does the duplicating + renaming.

cp -R /home/pi/openFrameworks/examples/empty/emptyExample /home/pi/openFrameworks/apps/myApps/myRpiApp

If you need to use any addons, then add that in the addons.make file.

All you need in the raspberry to make a new project is the following 3 files:

• Makefile
  • config.make
  • addons.make

the Makefile and config.make are the same in every example. addons.make is just a text file that you can edit with any text editor and add a line for each addon you want in your project.

You can copy the first two from any example and add an addons.make if you need it with the addons you want to use

We don’t have a project generator gui for armv6 but you can use the command line tool. Just go into scripts/linux and run ./compilePG.sh it’ll compile the command line PG and ask you if you want to install it. Once installed you can call:

projectGenerator pathToNewProject

from anywhere to create a new project