We’re looking for a senior developer (or two) in the New York and Philly offices of Bluecadet. We design & build interactive installations exclusively for non-profits and cultural institutions. We do a lot of permanent work, as well as one-off, prototype-centric sketches and experiments.
Note: we do primarily use Cinder for our permanent work (sorry!), but a) we use OF a ton in prototypes, and b) we are not requiring real-world Cinder experience, just a willingness to cross-train and learn new tools.
Official blurb below, but please feel free to drop me a note directly if you are interested and/or have questions!
Bluecadet is searching for an experienced developer to join our New York or Philadelphia offices.
Your role will be to lead interactive projects in the cultural and educational space. Working closely with our tech directors and the design team, you will architect and build applications using a variety of software and hardware stacks, focusing on Cinder, OpenGL and Unity. Applications include projections, touch walls spanning dozens of screens, camera-based interaction, and analog sensors.
Bluecadet partners with some of the most important cultural and purpose-driven institutions in the world, including the Smithsonian Institution, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Anti-Defamation League, and NASA. Experience with the challenges and advantages inherent to mission-driven organizations, while not required, is a huge plus.
Diversity of worldview and life experience make our work better, so we strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates to apply.
- Architect interactive applications together with tech leads with the ability to integrate and interface across various platforms
- Write fully polished and stable production level software while establishing and advocating for best practices within the team
- Research, evaluate, learn, and implement new technologies
- Contribute to internal and client-facing discussions through all project phases
- Lead and mentor team of developers on a per-project basis
- Delegate tasks and manage time effectively across multiple (1 to 3) projects at a time
- Work with producers and other discipline leads to prioritize, estimate and manage scope
- Help define and push for Bluecadet standards and execution
The Right Fit
- 3+ years experience with interactive projects in exhibits or physical installations
- 2+ years experience with Cinder (oF welcome too if able to cross-train), C++ and OpenGL/GLSL with the ability to advocate for best practices and provide mentorship
- Experience in other creative coding and prototyping platforms like Unity, Unreal, WebGL/three.js, Arduino is a big plus
- Confidence in working and interfacing with multiple technologies at one time
- Great communications skills and ability to translate between interaction design and software implementation paradigms fluently
- Experience working with various types of A/V hardware and general understanding of hardware requirements
- Experience with and/or exposure to visual and/or motion design is a plus
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in CS or equivalent experience