Saving Video on Android

Hi all,

I’m looking for a way to save out mp4 video live from my app on an android device. Has anyone accomplished such a thing?

I did a little research and it looks like the javacv library might be helpful for doing this, but I’m unsure how to implement it. Here’s a video recording example. I’m not exactly sure how to mix my openframeworks application with the bit of java posted in that link. Would the recording functions be mixed in with the OFActivity.java file, or does another java file need to be set up?

Anyone aware of any other solutions out there for getting video out on an android?

Thanks!

I’ve saved PNG sequences on the device using ofxImageSequenceRecoder. I’ve also used ofxHTTP to stream the video to another app and use that app to record video.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I’d like to try and save my video directly to a video file from the app on the device if at all possible. Out of curiosity, do you remember what app did you use to record the video when you used it with ofxHTTP?

I’ve been looking into it more and I think maybe something like the ffmpeg solution described in this thread might be a good way to tackle this. The addon there is badly out of date though, so I think it would need to be rewritten with an up to date version of openFrameworks and ffmpeg.

Perhaps something could be similarly merged with the newer ffmpeg video encoding example here.

1 Like