Running OF in Rpi2: cannot run example

Hi there,

I have finished configuring my Rpi 2 together with the provided tutorial in the website (http://openframeworks.cc/setup/raspberrypi/Raspberry-Pi-Getting-Started.html). I am running it via SSH in Terminal with an ethernet cable to a Macbook Pro.

However, I cannot run the very first example provided in the tutorial. I keep getting the following error:

pi@raspberrypi:~/openFrameworks/examples/graphics/polygonExample $ make run

HOST_OS=Linux
HOST_ARCH=armv7l
checking pkg-config libraries: cairo zlib gstreamer-app-1.0 gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer-video-1.0 gstreamer-base-1.0 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl libpulse-simple alsa gtk±3.0
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘std::runtime_error’
what(): locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
Aborted
/home/pi/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk:168: recipe for target ‘run’ failed
make: *** [run] Error 134

I have already formatted the pi and done all the steps again, but I keep not being able to run any example.

Could someone give me a light?

Thanks!

does this give you the same result?

make
cd bin
./polygonExample

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply.

Yes it does.

I managed to get it running, but not while doing SSH in the Mac. Just the Rpi2 + keyboard + hdmi display. Am I wrong to assume that it would run on my Terminal window on the Mac? (this was a long shot, but…).

you can run it from the Terminal on your mac - it shouldn’t cause any errors.

i have a same error with RPI1 B+ - arm6 - OF 090

i foud this: https://gitter.im/kr15h/ofxPiMapper/archives/2015/11/18

go to test!

I keep running into this same issue during development on the RPI 3B with OF 0.9.8 over SSH in headless mode.

Reconfiguring the locale only temporarily fixes it. After a reboot or so it pops back again. Making it impossible to run make RunRelease on any project, even things that have been compiled before and ran fine.

Does anyone have a suggestion on this?

These commands temporarily fix it for me

export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
sudo locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

and here’s an example of the error thats usually thrown

HOST_OS=Linux
checking pkg-config libraries:   cairo zlib gstreamer-app-1.0 gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer-video-1.0 gstreamer-base-1.0 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl gtk+-3.0 
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
Aborted
../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk:176: recipe for target 'RunRelease' failed
make: *** [RunRelease] Error 134

Unless the OF app itself is headless, it won’t run in a headless mode.

Yes, I’m running a headless app including ofAppNoWindow. The issue seems to be purely related to generating the locales.

When I re-generate these with the commands mentioned before I can compile and run any headless app without issues. Until rebooting the Pi.