Running OF apps without windowing system in Debian

Hi there, I’m new to development in Linux and i’m wondering if there’s a way to run an OF app directly from a command line, like i can do with the Raspberry Pi distro. Sorry if this is an obvious/noob question.

Thanks in advance

yes you can do it exactly the same as in the raspberry pi, the raspberry pi is just a linux box like any other computer. apart from some differences in the version of openGL, OF for linux is the same in a desktop computer or in the rPI, just open a console and use make the same way you would use it in the rPI

that’s awesome! i want to create a box, without any GUI, just a custom graphical boot, and them the OF app. Any advice on the OpenGL side? you have any experience running debian in a old MacMini (late 2010)?

i usually use openbox for installations, which completely removes any graphical elements from the desktop and makes it really easy to customize which aplications to run on boot.

installing linux in an apple computer can be tricky but appart from that it should work without problem

btw, didn’t read the title of the topic completely but, no, you need some kind of windowing system on desktop to open a GL context. but as i said in the last post there’s really barebones desktops for linux like openbox

oooh that’s ok… i will look into open box. thanks!

I manage to install everything, ubuntu and open box, which is what i was looking for, thanks for the directions :slight_smile: but i’m now stuck with parallels OpenGL support…. i’m getting the following error when running the examples folder:

X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 155 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 112
Current serial number in output stream: 112

do you had experienced an error like this? i’m running parallels 9 ubuntu 13 macbook pro 8,2.