Running a build made using QT Creator on Ubuntu

Hi, I am somewhat new to using Linux/Ubuntu, my experience is mostly with OSX.
I am trying to create a standalone build of my OF App, but I’m running into some issues. I’m hoping someone with more experience can point me in the right direction. My goal is to get my app to run on system startup.

I was able to get my project up and running using OF 0.11, with QT Creator, and I can build and run the project from within QT Creator with no issues.

However, when I create a release build, the release build directory created by QT does not contain any executables, so I’m not actually sure how to run the build as a standalone application. QT creates a build folder called “build-ofx-***-Desktop-Debug” - inside of this folder is another folder called “qtc_Desktop_Release” and inside of that folder is a folde called “qtc_Desktop_Release.bg” - but I cannot figure out how to run the application.

I have also tried running “make run” from the root of my OF project folder, in which case I get this error:

illuminiation@Illumination:~/of_v0.11.0_linux64gcc6_release/apps/Illumination/ofx-illumination$ make run
/bin/sh: 1: ./ofx-illumination: not found
/home/illuminiation/of_v0.11.0_linux64gcc6_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk:184: recipe for target 'run' failed
make: *** [run] Error 127

thanks!

Hi Jack,

You can find the binary of your project in its bin/ directory, so in your example you should be able to run it by calling ./bin/ofx-illumination.

You’re certainly familiar with Unix but in any cases within a terminal you are usually able to auto-complete a command with its possible arguments by double taping its tab key, for example :

ABI             afterplatform   AndroidDebug    clean           CleanDebug      copyaddonsdata  DebugABI        force           Release         ReleaseNoOF     RunDebug        
after           all             AndroidRelease  CleanAndroid    CleanRelease    Debug           DebugNoOF       help            ReleaseABI      run             RunRelease  

If the command make run fails, it might be because their target was not built beforehand. Instead you might want to try :

make Release -j`nproc` && make RunRelease

Cheers

Thanks DarkSalmon,

I realized that I first need to run make in terminal to create the build, then after that I simply ran /home/illuminiation/of_v0.11.0_linux64gcc6_release/apps/Illumination/ofx-illumination/bin/ofx-illumination and it worked :slight_smile: