removing stuff from iphone data folder?

Hi! Long time no speak. Hope this finds you all well.

I’ve been developing for a month with of iphone and I’m having great fun. I have stumbled upon what appears to be a silly problem, but can’t figure out.

My app has a couple of folders for images and sounds. Today I’ve started to reorganize them, erasing (well, trying to erase) not used items, adding some folders for clarity, etc, but no matter what I do, the app keeps including the old items. I’ve even removed the bin and data folder, and the reference to it on the xcode project, but the old assets still get copied to the simulator and phone. I’m looking for options in xcode to see where the copying of the data assets is managed, but no luck so far. Anyone has a clue?

Thanks!
Jesús.

Hmm it may be a caching problem.
I think I had the same issue before once.

try deleting the build/ folder from your project folder. remove all files from xcode that are in bin/data/
quit xcode - reopen and re-add the bin/data/subfiles that you want in the project.

also check the copy files section of your target ( expand the target by clicking on the arrows )
then delete any files from bin/data/ that might be in there.

hopefully with all that it should work?

hey theo. thanks for the reply.

unfortunately it doesn’t work. all the old files still get copied across to the app, both on device and simulator.

To test that it isn’t something specific to my xcode project, I’ve just tried with the imageLoaderExample.

• removed the build folder
  • there were no references that I saw in the xcode project so didn’t have to delete anything there (not on data nor in ‘copy bundle resources’)
  • erased the images on bin/data/images

and the app still works correctly, showing the images, so they still get copied.

deleting the app from the phone/simulator and trying again doesn’t help either…

no idea what’s going on here. any other ideas?

Thanks!
j

One other thing to try - try removing the app from your phone by deleting it. Sometimes the app can copy across but it will launch an older one.

Also which xcode version are you using?
Is it a beta sdk one? Or an official 4.0 or 4.1 version. The beta xcodes can be buggy sometimes.

One other thing to try - try removing the app from your phone by deleting it. Sometimes the app can copy across but it will launch an older one.

Also which xcode version are you using?
Is it a beta sdk one? Or an official 4.0 or 4.1 version. The beta xcodes can be buggy sometimes.

oh yeah, sorry I didn’t specify. I’m on
xcode 3.2.4
ofIphoneFat 061
os x 10.6.3
iphone sdk 4.1

and I have always deleted the old apps both on the phone and simulator with no luck.

thanks!
j

oh wait! found a workaround.
if you change the bundle identifier of the target so that the device thinks it’s a new app, you get rid of the old assets.
I’m not super familiar with iphone bureaucracy so I’m not sure if that is something I should do or not, but it works for the moment. Still, there should be a way to get rid of assets on a project, so if anyone has an explanation that’d be welcome.

Cheers!
jesús.

a “clean & build”, plus deleting on the device has always worked for me. I suspect there is something else going on here with your configuration.