Reading RFID tagged items

Hi,
I am working on an installation where I want to track items with an RFID tag applied and if they are put onto a reader. Similar to a book self-return in the library.

It should also register if items were removed, the amount and type. Depending on the type and amount of the objects on the reader, a storytelling is taking place on a screen.

I want to realize it in oF and I am looking for a solution, either for Raspberry / Linux, or on a similar Hardware and Windows. I found some addons on the oF Homepage, but I am not sure if they are still valid. It is offish and ofxNFC, 7 and 10 years old.

Does anyone have recent experiences with them and in which scenario would be interesting. Or do you have other solutions that you can recommend?

Any help appreciated!
Many thanks, C.

Hello,
I haven’t used USB RFID readers, but there might be some available.
Another solution that worked very well for me was using NFC readers connected to an Arduino. And then sending data via serial to an oF app or via the network in case the microcontroller has wifi or lan capabilities.
these rfid/nfc readers are usually quite cheap and easier to mount in custom hardware/housings.
https://joy-it.net/en/products/SBC-RFID-RC522
Should not be too difficult to connect them on a pi directly. There might be even some i2c modules, probably easier to wire up.
A few things that should be taken care of:

• NFC != RFID
  • frequency of the tags has to match the frequency of the readers
  • distance might be an issue, also material covering the reader can interfere
  • not all readers can write tags, not all libraries implemented that

Friends of mine did a similar project to what you are describing, it might be interesting for you:

Hope that helps
Thomas

1 Like

Many thanks for your information and sharing the project. That looks very promising, I will look into this!