Raspberry Pi - compiling error with ofAppEGLWindow.cpp

Hi All,
I tried several times to compile OF on my Raspebrry Pi but always hit the same error (see bellow). Already happens to someone? I searched the forums already but did not find this same exact problem.
I run the last version of Raspbian Wheezy (freshly installed) and i followed all the instructions to install OF (codecs, dependencies etc…).
Any help very welcome! in advance, Thanks!

Alain

-----  
Compiling ../../../libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp  
mkdir -p ../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/linuxarmv6l/obj/Debug/libs/openFrameworks/app  
g++ -g3 -Wall -fexceptions -march=armv6 -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard -fPIC -ftree-vectorize -Wno-psabi -pipe -DOF_USING_GTK -DOF_USING_MPG123 -DTARGET_RASPBERRY_PI -DSTANDALONE -DPIC -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -DTARGET_POSIX -DHAVE_LIBOPENMAX=2 -DOMX -DOMX_SKIP64BIT -DUSE_EXTERNAL_OMX -DHAVE_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_EXTERNAL_LIBBCM_HOST -DUSE_VCHIQ_ARM -I/opt/vc/include -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -pthread -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/gstreamer-0.10 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I../../../libs/cairo/include -I../../../libs/cairo/include/cairo -I../../../libs/cairo/include/libpng15 -I../../../libs/cairo/include/pixman-1 -I../../../libs/fmodex/include -I../../../libs/glfw/include -I../../../libs/glfw/include/GLFW -I../../../libs/kiss/include -I../../../libs/openssl/include -I../../../libs/openssl/include/openssl -I../../../libs/poco/include -I../../../libs/portaudio/include -I../../../libs/rtAudio/include -I../../../libs/tess2/include -I../../../libs/openFrameworks -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/utils -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/sound -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/3d -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/types -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/video -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/math -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/events -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/app -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/gl -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/graphics -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/communication -DDEBUG -MMD -MP -MF ../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/linuxarmv6l/obj/Debug/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.d -MT../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/linuxarmv6l/obj/Debug/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.o -o ../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/linuxarmv6l/obj/Debug/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.o -c ../../../libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp  
../../../libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp: In member function ‘void ofAppEGLWindow::setWindowRect(const ofRectangle&)’:  
../../../libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp:851:72: error: cannot convert ‘VC_IMAGE_TRANSFORM_T’ to ‘DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T’ for argument ‘9’ to ‘int vc_dispmanx_element_change_attributes(DISPMANX_UPDATE_HANDLE_T, DISPMANX_ELEMENT_HANDLE_T, uint32_t, int32_t, uint8_t, const VC_RECT_T*, const VC_RECT_T*, DISPMANX_RESOURCE_HANDLE_T, DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T)’  
../../../libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void ofAppEGLWindow::setWindowPosition(int, int)’:  
../../../libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp:1073:66: error: cannot convert ‘VC_IMAGE_TRANSFORM_T’ to ‘DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T’ for argument ‘9’ to ‘int vc_dispmanx_element_change_attributes(DISPMANX_UPDATE_HANDLE_T, DISPMANX_ELEMENT_HANDLE_T, uint32_t, int32_t, uint8_t, const VC_RECT_T*, const VC_RECT_T*, DISPMANX_RESOURCE_HANDLE_T, DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T)’  
make[2]: *** [../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/linuxarmv6l/obj/Debug/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.o] Error 1  
make[1]: *** [Debug] Error 2  
make: *** [all] Error 2  

which instructions are you following? This guide is the latest (as of yesterday)
http://www.openframeworks.cc/setup/raspberrypi/

Ok Thanks for the pointer, i will check later when near my Pi.
I was following the instructions here: https://github.com/openFrameworks-RaspberryPi/openFrameworks/wiki/Raspberry-Pi-Getting-Started

Best,
Alain

cool - yeah - since 0.8.0 has been released the previous project will be taken down as OF now supports ARM/RPi natively

So, i tried the version 0.8.0 and the same problem happened in the compilation process. So i decided to make a fresh instal of Raspbian on my SD card (i had installed a VNC server (tightvncserver) before that installed a lot of other (unknown) things that might have cause the problem…?).

Reinstalled the version 0.8.0, tried to compile it again and it works!

Don’t know exactly what it was but anyway, thanks for the support, much appreciated.

Very excited to run some of the examples now,

Best,

Alain

I’m having this same error…I’m following the most recent instructions (from yesterday!)

I just have default raspbian on there and nothing else. Should I try re-installing it? Does anyone know the source of this problem?

it’s bizarre because I don’t think re-installing would have fixed it but somehow made a difference for @notdefined. I am wondering if there was something updated that required a reboot

predster - can you try this if you have already ran the install_dependencies script?

sudo apt-get update  
sudo apt-get upgrade  

reboot and try the compile OF step again

Yes, I installed dependencies…I tried this and got the same error. I’m going to try re-installing raspbian on my memory card.

predster - try rebooting first and if you can let me know what the file name is of the version of Raspbian that you are using

Thanks for the help! No difference on reboot. My raspbian file is called ‘2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbian.img’ I just got it from the raspberry pi site, but had done the update/upgrade.

cool - it sounds like you have done everything correctly - going to download that and give it a shot and see what I get

I also re-installed raspbian and followed the setup instructions… and voila! OF built!

it looks like if you run rpi-update it will break again - we are coming up with a fix so stay away from running that command if you can help it :slight_smile:

Here is a fix I just added to the setup guide - thanks for your help troubleshooting

Known issue with updated firmware
If you have ran rpi-update recently you may get the error containing

../../../libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp:1073:66: error: cannot convert 'VC_IMAGE_TRANSFORM_T' to 'DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T'  

Assuming that the openFrameworks folder is at /home/pi/openFrameworks you can fix it with this command:

sed -i 's/VC_IMAGE_TRANSFORM_T/DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T/g' /home/pi/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp  

Then re-run the make command

hi @jvcleave i had the same issue and the

sed -i 's/VC_IMAGE_TRANSFORM_T/DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T/g' /home/pi/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp`

works perfectly without any issue.
Thanks!

Yeah - the change is needed in recent versions of Raspbian now. I think it is changed in master on github so the next release of OF should align with the current Raspbian

Hi! I know that this is an old topic, but I also can not compile projects after running rpi-update command.
And this is what I get:

root@minibian:~/openFrameworks/examples/3d/quaternionLatLongExample# make HOST_OS=Linux HOST_ARCH=armv6l checking pkg-config libraries: cairo zlib gstreamer-app-1.0 gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer-video-1.0 gstreamer-base-1.0 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl libpulse-simple alsa gtk+-3.0 libmpg123 Compiling OF library for Release make[1]: Entering directory '/root/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project' HOST_OS=Linux HOST_ARCH=armv6l checking pkg-config libraries: cairo zlib gstreamer-app-1.0 gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer-video-1.0 gstreamer-base-1.0 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl libpulse-simple alsa gtk+-3.0 libmpg123 HOST_OS=Linux HOST_ARCH=armv6l checking pkg-config libraries: cairo zlib gstreamer-app-1.0 gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer-video-1.0 gstreamer-base-1.0 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl libpulse-simple alsa gtk+-3.0 libmpg123 HOST_OS=Linux HOST_ARCH=armv6l checking pkg-config libraries: cairo zlib gstreamer-app-1.0 gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer-video-1.0 gstreamer-base-1.0 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl libpulse-simple alsa gtk+-3.0 libmpg123 Done! make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project' Compiling quaternionLatLongExample for Release make[1]: Entering directory '/root/openFrameworks/examples/3d/quaternionLatLongExample' HOST_OS=Linux HOST_ARCH=armv6l checking pkg-config libraries: cairo zlib gstreamer-app-1.0 gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer-video-1.0 gstreamer-base-1.0 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl libpulse-simple alsa gtk+-3.0 libmpg123 Linking bin/quaternionLatLongExample for linuxarmv6l g++ -o bin/quaternionLatLongExample obj/linuxarmv6l/Release/src/main.o obj/linuxarmv6l/Release/src/ofApp.o /root/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/linuxarmv6l/libopenFrameworks.a -Wl,-rpath=./libs:./bin/libs -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--gc-sections -pthread -L/opt/vc/lib /root/openFrameworks/libs/kiss/lib/linuxarmv6l/libkiss.a /root/openFrameworks/libs/tess2/lib/linuxarmv6l/libtess2.a /root/openFrameworks/libs/poco/lib/linuxarmv6l/libPocoNetSSL.a /root/openFrameworks/libs/poco/lib/linuxarmv6l/libPocoNet.a /root/openFrameworks/libs/poco/lib/linuxarmv6l/libPocoCrypto.a /root/openFrameworks/libs/poco/lib/linuxarmv6l/libPocoUtil.a /root/openFrameworks/libs/poco/lib/linuxarmv6l/libPocoJSON.a /root/openFrameworks/libs/poco/lib/linuxarmv6l/libPocoXML.a /root/openFrameworks/libs/poco/lib/linuxarmv6l/libPocoFoundation.a -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf -lz -lgstapp-1.0 -lgstvideo-1.0 -lgstbase-1.0 -lgstreamer-1.0 -ludev -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lsndfile -lopenal -lssl -lcrypto -lpulse-simple -lpulse -lasound -lgtk-3 -lgdk-3 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -latk-1.0 -lcairo-gobject -lcairo -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lmpg123 -lfreeimage -lrtaudio -lboost_filesystem -lboost_system -lGLESv2 -lGLESv1_CM -lEGL -lopenmaxil -lbcm_host -lvcos -lvchiq_arm -lpcre -lrt -lX11 -ldl obj/linuxarmv6l/Release/src/ofApp.o: file not recognized: File truncated collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status /root/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk:381: recipe for target 'bin/quaternionLatLongExample' failed make[1]: *** [bin/quaternionLatLongExample] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/openFrameworks/examples/3d/quaternionLatLongExample' /root/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk:126: recipe for target 'Release' failed make: *** [Release] Error 2

Hope that there’s and easy fix for that.

OK! Solved with
make clean
and then
make

Now compiling as it should.

1 Like