Raspberry Pi 2 Setup Guide (0.8.4)

A post was split to a new topic: Simple Shader-Crashing on Raspberry Pi 2

A post was merged into an existing topic: Raspberry pi 2 + kinect

Just a note, the newest version of Raspbian should have GCC 4.8+ installed by default. If anyone has a moment to test these instructions with Raspbian Jessie, please post your experiences.

I’m running the 3DPrimitive Example right now.
No Problems getting the of_v20150930_linuxarmv7l_nightly installed and compiled on a fresh Raspbian Jessie…
(don’t forget to resize your filesystem, I missed that one at first)

I will test more examples this week.

b.t.w: default gcc on jessie is gcc version 4.9.2

I just tried an openframeworks v0.8.4 install with an new raspian jessie install on a RPI2 and got the error posted by wolfgang_hershey above during the install_dependencies.sh script.
i.e.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python-argparse : Depends: python2.6 but is is not installable

Jessie comes with python version 2.7.9 by default

Thoughts?

According to this:
http://docs.openstack.org/havana/install-guide/install/apt-debian/content/basics-argparse.html
python-argparse in included in python 2.7 , but “does not include Provides: python-argparse directive”. In python 2.6 it needed to be loaded separately.

Just took the “python-argparse” out of the "apt-get install " command in the install_dependencies.sh script and it worked.

Tried compiling the 3d/3DPrimitivesExample and it worked. Who knows if the python 2.7 python-argparse will have any problems with other examples.

1 Like
checking pkg-config libraries:   cairo zlib gstreamer-app-1.0 gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer-video-1.0 gstreamer-base-1.0 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl libpulse-simple alsa gtk+-3.0 libmpg123 glesv1_cm glesv2 egl 
../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/config.shared.mk:260: *** couldn't find some pkg-config packages, did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh?. Arrêt

I’d to remove “python2.6” from install_dependencies.sh, it worked, but I can’t compile…

Thanks for this! Very well done. Would you be interested in contributing to http://au.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=infozone&file=expert-reviews/expert-reviews-raspberry ?

anyone have trouble with make complaining about tabs instead of spaces? any solutions?

$ make

*** missing separator (did you mean TAB instead of 8 spaces?). Stop.

Yes. I have. Step 8 is wrong now.

Ahh…figured. Solution? Would switching the spaces to tabs make it work?

I just updated step 8 (we recently made rpi2 the default makefile for armv7). Let me know if it doesn’t work… I think you may have been downloading a 404 page …

When I am trying to compile examples, I’ve got an error:

…/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp: In member function ‘void ofAppEGLWindow::setWindowRect(const ofRectangle&)’:
…/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp:872:72: error: cannot convert ‘VC_IMAGE_TRANSFORM_T’ to ‘DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T’ for argument ‘9’ to ‘int vc_dispmanx_element_change_attributes(DISPMANX_UPDATE_HANDLE_T, DISPMANX_ELEMENT_HANDLE_T, uint32_t, int32_t, uint8_t, const VC_RECT_T*, const VC_RECT_T*, DISPMANX_RESOURCE_HANDLE_T, DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T)’
…/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void ofAppEGLWindow::setWindowPosition(int, int)’:
…/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp:1098:66: error: cannot convert ‘VC_IMAGE_TRANSFORM_T’ to ‘DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T’ for argument ‘9’ to ‘int vc_dispmanx_element_change_attributes(DISPMANX_UPDATE_HANDLE_T, DISPMANX_ELEMENT_HANDLE_T, uint32_t, int32_t, uint8_t, const VC_RECT_T*, const VC_RECT_T*, DISPMANX_RESOURCE_HANDLE_T, DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T)’
makefileCommon/compile.core.mk:228: recipe for target ‘…/…/…/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/linuxarmv7l/obj/Release/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.o’ failed
make[2]: *** […/…/…/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/linuxarmv7l/obj/Release/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
makefileCommon/compile.core.mk:199: recipe for target ‘Release’ failed
make[1]: *** [Release] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/pi/of_v0.8.4_linuxarmv7l_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project’
…/…/…/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk:126: recipe for target ‘Release’ failed
make: *** [Release] Error 2

I cannot compile neither Release nor Debug

I’m having the exact same error as @alexhod.

@alexhod @eelke

try adding this line to the top of libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppEGLWindow.cpp

#define USE_DISPMANX_TRANSFORM_T 1

@bakercp we can probably safely remove the ifdef we are using for what was newer firmware at the time.

1 Like

Thanks @jvcleave, that worked!

Yeah you’re probably right – should we add it to the 0.8.4 guide. I’m excited for everyone to start using 0.9.0 :smile: we can mod it there in source too and just make it clear that this is only “officially” supported for the latest raspbian release – though it will work on others.

4 posts were split to a new topic: openFrameworks window on the raspberry pi is missing normal window controls

A post was split to a new topic: Compiling raspberry pi example hangs

Hi, I followed the wonderful guide in order to compile with RPI2.
I can compile with export MAKEFLAGS=-j4 PLATFORM_VARIANT=rpi2.
When I launch the compiled file, with Htop I can see that there are 8 different PID running…
Is this right?

tks,

pippo