Raspberry Pi 2 Setup Guide (0.8.4)

I’m wondering if it’s possible to have one OF folder that works with both Pi1&2? Maybe somehow make use of github master version instead of v0.8.4 release?

The master branch is still a bit unstable, so for now you could theoretically merge the arm6 and arm7 releases of the 0.8.4 … that would be tricky though … lots of careful copying lib directories, etc.

Rather than do that though, I’d just recommend setting the OF_ROOT variable when you use the make command. Something like …

make OF_ROOT=path/to/armv6_OF_084

or

make OF_ROOT=path/to/armv7_0F_084

1 Like

Monster Big THANKS
this was the easiest install of OF I have ever done
worked flawlessly

thx
WH

1 Like

Awesome! Having lots of fun. :grinning:

thnx

1 Like

Oh yeah! me again

I was SOO happy that the install on Rapsberry Pi 2 was so so so easy
that I got kinda crazy
and updated (successfully!) to the Jessie branch of Rasbian
and tried the install again

sadly I got
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python-argparse : Depends: python2.6 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
error installing dependencies, there could be an error with your internet connection
if the error persists, please report an issue in github: http://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues

which seems really minor
but rather than screw everything up I thought I’d ask for pointer for the SAFEST way to fix this…
I’m assuming that maybe the PIP version is newer and python 2.7 happy?

or perhaps there is other secrets you could impart

wh

update:
it would seem that the problem is that Jessie install natively 2.7
and the needed package is now part of the standard library of 2.7
So I’m not sure who’s bug(feature) it is…

any thoughts?

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: Problems compiling OpenCV examples on raspberry pi 2

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: Cycle Chaser Project on Raspberry Pi 2 Problems Compiling

Super worked perfectly, thanks C-BAKE

2 Likes

Hi,

I’ve tried these instructions twice now and I’m getting the same error:

checking pkg-config libraries:   cairo zlib gstreamer-app-1.0 gstreamer-1.0 gstreamer-video-1.0 gstreamer-base-1.0 libudev freetype2 fontconfig sndfile openal openssl libpulse-simple alsa gtk+-3.0 libmpg123 glesv1_cm glesv2 egl 
makefileCommon/config.shared.mk:260: *** couldn't find some pkg-config packages, did you run the latest install_dependencies.sh?.  Stop.

It appears the 8th step isn’t working? Any idea why this isn’t working?

It sounds more like step 9 failed – did you install the dependencies with the install_dependencies.sh script? If you’re unsure, you can run the script again – and make sure you run it with sudo install_dependencies.sh.

Hello!

This worked perfectly, thanks!
I would like to know if this is still the way to go to install OF on RPi2??
Or is there any updates?

Regards

1 Like

Currently this is the “state of the art” for RPi2. It will be more automated as soon as we release 0.9.0. I’ll post an update here once that has happened …

@Collin_Schupman did you get this figured out?

Thanks for your reply!

Hey !
been trying all the things on the forum!
still cant compile i always get “this package doesnt support your platform”"
I reedo everything step by step like 4 times still getting that! any help apreciate!

Where are you getting the error “this package doesn’t support your platform”? From the makefiles or the installation script?

in the make files when i try to run an example

Make sure that you’ve exported the variables

export MAKEFLAGS=-j4 PLATFORM_VARIANT=rpi2

before calling make / make run on the examples. If you open a new terminal window these flags will be reset (unless you add them to your bash profile).

If you want to test without exports, try the following in an example folder:

make -j4 PLATFORM_VARIANT=rpi2
make -j4 PLATFORM_VARIANT=rpi2 run

The -j4 just tells it to compile using all 4 processors. So, it’s not really needed for the run command, but the PLATFORM_VARIANT=rpi2 definitely is required.

Yes! i been exporting the make files using trying this lines before run the example
export MAKEFLAGS=-j4 PLATFORM_VARIANT=rpi2

export MAKEFLAGS="-j4 PLATFORM_VARIANT=rpi2"

But when i run it i dont get any feed in the terminal looks like nothing happend not sure if is like that or something have to show up in the terminal when i run it?
I will givi it a shot with those lines (make -j4 PLATFORM_VARIANT=rpi2)

ok! i get the same error running this
make -j4 PLATFORM_VARIANT=rpi2
“this package doesn’t support your platform,probably you download thw wrong package”