"FreeImage.dll was not found"

Hey, I already posted about this at http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/what-and-how-to-install-openframeworks/3331/0 but I guess I should have started a new thread, instead.

Since trying to upgrade to 0061, I can’t run any of the example I’ve tried (graphicExample, eventsExample, a couple more) - all say ‘This application has failed to start because FreeImage.dll was not found.’ The 006 examples still work fine, so that’s something… but what’s with the upgrade fail? I wanted to use ofSetBackgroundAuto which is broken in the previous version.

I tried copying FreeImage.dll into the relevant directory, which makes it give me ‘fmodex.dll was not found’ instead. Am I missing something here, or is this a bug with the new version…?

Hi, Oolong,

You said that you wanted to use version 0061 because ofSetBackgroundAuto is broken in the previous version.

I am using version 0061 and I just got done posting here about the fact that if you set the value to false then you can no longer use grabScreen and saveImage to save your screen to a file. Is this the problem that you were having with ofSetBackgroundAuto in the previous version?

By the way, you asked:

[quote author=“Oolong”]
I tried copying FreeImage.dll into the relevant directory, which makes it give me ‘fmodex.dll was not found’ instead. Am I missing something here, or is this a bug with the new version…?[/quote]

I think what is happening is that your program needs multiple dlls to run. However as soon as the build hits a missing dll it stops and tells you that dll is missing. When you copy it in then you’ll build until the next needed dll is not found and you get an error message on that one. So you could have 40 dlls that you will need but the build process will only tell you about them one at a time rather than giving you the full report in one build run.

Hope this helps.

Yes. But why is it not finding these dlls when I try to run the examples from 0061? I don’t want to have to copy all the dlls it might want every time, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t when I was first using 0060.

And no, my problem with ofSetBackgroundAuto is that in Windows it doesn’t do anything in a window, and fullscreen it flickers horribly.