PS3eye and Rpi4

Hey,

I am building an ofx project for the first time on a Rpi and im struggling to make ofxCvPiCam work. Im pretty sure it is to do with the src code files as theyre not the usual ofApp naming. I am using a ps3eye as well.

Much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Depending on how much control you need over the PS3 Eye (e.g. higher frame rates, etc), GitHub - bakercp/ofxPS3EyeGrabber: A Sony PS3 Eye Camera grabber for openFrameworks. should work. Just check the readme for installation instructions, permissions, etc.

That said, if you just need basic features, then this addon is not needed as the native linux drivers should work.

Thanks for the reply @bakercp ,
So ive compiled a simple example from the examples folder but the camera is not recognised. Thanks in advance if you can tell me what ive done wrong.
This is the errror im getting from the Rpi4 OFX:

compiling done
     to launch the application

cd bin
     ./example_simple

- or -

make RunRelease

make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/openFrameworks/addons/ofxPS3EyeGrabber/example_simple'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/openFrameworks/addons/ofxPS3EyeGrabber/example_simple'
pi@raspberrypi:~/openFrameworks/addons/ofxPS3EyeGrabber/example_simple $ make RunRelease
VER ID IS 10
using newer build and GLFW window
libusb: error [_get_usbfs_fd] libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/004: Permission denied
libusb: error [_get_usbfs_fd] libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
[warning] ofxPS3EyeGrabber::setup: There are no cameras detected. (Re)connect devices and check device permissions.

Ok, just read your info on permissions. Missed that bit.

/etc/udev/rules.d/ps3_eye_camera.rules
and add the following line:
ATTR{idVendor}==“1415”, ATTR{idProduct}==“2000”, MODE+=“777”

Ive not done this before, so do I add a folder and a file with the line of code?
Appologises for the noob questions :slight_smile:

I ran the normal video grabber like suggested and it worked fine, hopefully I wont need too much control over the camera. Just need it to do background differencing for an LED installation.
Thanks for your advice though.

1 Like