Problems with newly install OF for android on linux

hi

I am just trying to install OF for android under latest Ubuntu. I follow the tutorial in the OF website but when I get to compile the library, in the Project menu I dont get the “Build Configurations” option. There is no such option in the menu. As far as I can understand it looks to me like it is trying to compile the android OF as if it was a standard linux application.

Is the documentation in the website the right one?
http://www.openframeworks.cc/setup/android-eclipse/
is it sure that following that carefully I should successfully get OF to compile for android?

I noticed that in the description says nothing about installing android 17 in the SDK which should be required to build OF. It also says that in order to compile with NDK r9b some modifications need to be done in a file, but thats already changed in the file. In short, all this makes me think that the documentation is not up to date.

Then the readme.md file and the description in the website are not the same, the readme.md looks even older. This is confusing for people like me who dont use OF all the time but maybe only once a year. I dont know if I have done something wrong or if the documentation is wrong or not up to date.

I am currently getting this error

make Release PLATFORM_OS=Android
Compiling OF library for Release
make[1]: Entering directory /home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/of_v0.8.1_android_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project' Compiling ../../../libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.cpp /home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/prebuilt/linux-i686/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-g++ -Os -Wall -nostdlib --sysroot=/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/platforms/android-17/arch-arm/ -fno-short-enums -DANDROID -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/platforms/android-17/arch-arm//usr/include/" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/include" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/4.8/include" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/libs/armeabi/include" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/4.8/libs/armeabi/include" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/sources/crystax/include/" -I"../../../libs/glu/include_android" -I"../../../addons/ofxAndroid/src" -I../../../libs/FreeImage/include -I../../../libs/freetype/include -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2 -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2/freetype -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2/freetype/internal -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2/freetype/internal/services -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2/freetype/config -I../../../libs/glfw/include -I../../../libs/glfw/include/GLFW -I../../../libs/openssl/include -I../../../libs/openssl/include/openssl -I../../../libs/poco/include -I../../../libs/tess2/include -I../../../libs/openFrameworks -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/math -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/communication -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/types -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/utils -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/events -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/gl -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/3d -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/video -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/graphics -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/app -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/sound  -MMD -MP -MF ../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/android/obj/armv5/Release/libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.d -MT../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/android/obj/armv5/Release/libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.o -o ../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/android/obj/armv5/Release/libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.o -c ../../../libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.cpp make[1]: Leaving directory/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/of_v0.8.1_android_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project’
/bin/sh: 1: /home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/prebuilt/linux-i686/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-g++: not found
make[2]: *** […/…/…/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/android/obj/armv5/Release/libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.o] Error 127
make[1]: *** [Release] Error 2
make: *** [Release] Error 2

sorry I have tried so many times since yesterday that I dont know what the problem might be. I got so many errors, I tried over and over again.

any ideas?

thanks

enrike

yes i need to update the site, it should work for r9c and r9d without any modifications.

seems like the path to your ndk is not correct, is it really installed in /home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9d/ it could also be that you are on 64bits and have downloaded the 32bits version of the ndk

thanks arturo. I double check that the NDK was 32 bits same for the ADT bundle. then I noticed that you are right and there was something wrong with the NDK path. I fixed that but now I still get an error

/bin/sh: 1: /home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/prebuilt/linux-i686/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-g++: not found

but check this ls command output here

~/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/prebuilt$ ls
linux-x86

There is no /linux-i686 but rather /linux-x86

I just tried again the whole process from scratch with new files I just downloaded and I get the same error.

make[1]: Entering directory /home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/of_v0.8.1_android_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project' Compiling ../../../libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.cpp /home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/prebuilt/linux-i686/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-g++ -Os -Wall -nostdlib --sysroot=/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/platforms/android-17/arch-arm/ -fno-short-enums -DANDROID -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/platforms/android-17/arch-arm//usr/include/" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/include" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/4.8/include" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/libs/armeabi/include" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/sources/cxx-stl/gnu-libstdc++/4.8/libs/armeabi/include" -I"/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/sources/crystax/include/" -I"../../../libs/glu/include_android" -I"../../../addons/ofxAndroid/src" -I../../../libs/FreeImage/include -I../../../libs/freetype/include -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2 -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2/freetype -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2/freetype/internal -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2/freetype/internal/services -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype2/freetype/config -I../../../libs/glfw/include -I../../../libs/glfw/include/GLFW -I../../../libs/openssl/include -I../../../libs/openssl/include/openssl -I../../../libs/poco/include -I../../../libs/tess2/include -I../../../libs/openFrameworks -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/math -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/communication -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/types -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/utils -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/events -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/gl -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/3d -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/video -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/graphics -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/app -I../../../libs/openFrameworks/sound  -MMD -MP -MF ../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/android/obj/armv5/Release/libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.d -MT../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/android/obj/armv5/Release/libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.o -o ../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/android/obj/armv5/Release/libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.o -c ../../../libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.cpp make[1]: Leaving directory/home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/of_v0.8.1_android_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project’
/bin/sh: 1: /home/r2d2/Mahaigaina/android/android-ndk-r9b/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/prebuilt/linux-i686/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-g++: not found
make[2]: *** […/…/…/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/lib/android/obj/armv5/Release/libs/openFrameworks/math/ofMatrix4x4.o] Error 127
make[1]: *** [Release] Error 2
make: *** [Release] Error 2

thanks!

enrike

there was an error in the 32bits package, if you can download it again it should be fixed now

great, that was it. now it is working fine. muchas gracias!!

I think it would be really good that the online install instructions and the readme.md file instructions are always up to date and in sync. This is the kind of issue that puts off non technical people because it leads to confusion. But anyway the install instructions seem now easier than they were before so that is nice.

if you need help for testing under linux and/or compiling under linux for android give me a shout, I have sometimes extra time for things like this.

Hii Enrike

May I ask how you solved your problem?
I’m having the same issues, and am almost hitting a wall, cause there’s almost no more things for me to test to try to solve this!

just kind of remember that there was some bug in the code that Arturo fixed. it was months ago so I dont remember much

Thanks Enrike

It worked finally with the 32 bit version of NDK 10.