Problems compiling of arch 202204 usr/include/sndfile.h:356:33: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct sf_private_tag SNDFILE’ 356 | typedef struct sf_private_tag SNDFILE ;

All my openFrameworks stopped working on arch env due to this latest update of libsndfile

Compilation error is

usr/include/sndfile.h:356:33: error: conflicting declaration ‘typedef struct sf_private_tag SNDFILE’
356 | typedef struct sf_private_tag SNDFILE ;

It will recompile if you change libs/openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h

// typedef struct SNDFILE_tag SNDFILE ;
typedef struct sf_private_tag SNDFILE ;

as per instructions here

Hope you don’t loose a couple of hours

3 Likes

exactly this happened to me/ thank you!. Making me question if is safe to develop projects on top of arch and not better to either use docker or virtual machine or other device. though support for hardware devices such as cameras would become a new worry. I just feel on arch the ground is always moving beneath you

Hey the nightly build has a fix for this issue now I think. Have a look at this form post: Problem compiling Debug OF library, ofOpenALSoundPlayer culprit.

1 Like

Hey @cyphunk , glad it helped out. Re: arch. I wouldn’t have it otherwise now. Actually Manjaro. Arch as main, vm’s or dockers for specifics. Workflow is faster, not locked down in distros for updates & trading it for the ever ending small tweaks required to make it run. Actually now on arch gst is still a huge pain, cameras segfault, have to downgrade, not in the mood… still leagues away from planned obsolescence software & hardware platforms everyone seems to cheer so nicely

So you still use arch or you switched from it?

No plans to leave. Things are rock solid, even on minor transient codestorms. And then there’s vm’s if things go too…

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community               7,0 MiB   562 KiB/s 00:13 [######################] 100%
 multilib              178,9 KiB  1053 KiB/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: python-pyqt5: local (5.15.6-7.1) is newer than extra (5.15.6-7)
 there is nothing to do