Problems combining bullet 3d with openrameworks

Hello Im a new user here and I need help compiling Bullet 3d with openframeworks. After trying two addons I gave up and decided to generate a new project and follow the steps in this tutorial.

http://bulletphysics.org/mediawiki-1.5.8/index.php/Creating_a_project_from_scratch#Create_a_new_Visual_Studio_project

It doesn’t work. The header file is not being read. How would I compile bullet 3d for openframeworks?

1 Like

What problems did you encounter with the addons? What version of openFrameworks / OS, IDE version, etc are you using?

I’m using visual studio 2015 with the dev build of open frameworks. Basically the error I’m getting is

Severity Code Description Project File Line
Error (active) expression must have a constant value c:\openframeworks\addons\ofxBullet\src\shapes\ofxBulletSoftTriMesh.cpp

I am using this addon:

And thanks for the fast response.

It looks like that addon needs a little bit more updating to work with VS2015 (which is the supported version of VS for of 0.9.0).

Basically, if you look here https://github.com/NickHardeman/ofxBullet/tree/master/libs/bullet2.8.2/lib/win/vs

it appears that the vs libraries were built for VS2012.

I’d contact @NickHardeman and see how he compiled the libs and see if you can borrow his scripts (or perhaps it’s even easier than that). It looks like he’s keeping it up to date with 0.9.0 and probably just needs to push the VS2015 libs.

Alright thanks for the help man. :smile: This been killing me for weeks.

1 Like

Hi @nathanblanchard12,

I had some help building the libs for windows ( I’m not a big windows user ). @prisonerjohn ( https://github.com/prisonerjohn ) and https://github.com/kentaroid compiled the libs for vs2012. I can reach out to them.

In the mean time you should be able to include the bullet source files in your vs2015 project without the need to compile a static lib. You will need to download them from the bullet git repo.

Ok thanks. Also I don’t have to go through the whole compiling step (going to cmake and configing). Btw do you know if openframeworks rasberry pi version has any libraries missing (or where they have information on this?)

Thanks for the support guys. It usually take days for a response. :smile:

Regarding RPI – I believe that all of the core libraries are now up to date with RPI1 and RPI2 on the master branch. I just finally updated RPI2 to include the Poco libs, and everything seems to be working now.

Alright thanks. And do you guys help develop Openframeworks?
Also I manage to work by temporarily turning a variable into a constant (100)?
Don’t know what it does but it will do for now. I’m just learning for now. I will start development soon :slight_smile:

Hi,

I just updated ofxBullet to work with OF 0.9.0 and Visual Studio 2015. It’s still a work in progress, but you can find it all here: https://github.com/prisonerjohn/ofxBullet/tree/hotfix-winblows

I’ve recompiled the bullet 2.8.2 libs and added x64 bit targets. I only updated two examples so far: SimpleExample and MeshExample (which uses the ofxBulletLib and property sheets). I’ll update the rest and make a PR to the main repo over the next few days.

Let me know how it works out!

Oh snap. Thank you, I will let you know how it runs.

Ok I had problems with the build you sent me . These are the following errors:

Error C2061 syntax error: identifier ‘_Dynamic_tag’ openframeworksLib C:\Users\Ernst\Desktop\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\libs\openFrameworks\types\ofTypes.h 188

Error C2535 ‘ofPtr::ofPtr(const ofPtr &)’: member function already defined or declared openframeworksLib C:\Users\Ernst\Desktop\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\libs\openFrameworks\types\ofTypes.h 188

Error C2061 syntax error: identifier ‘_Dynamic_tag’ openframeworksLib C:\Users\Ernst\Desktop\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\libs\openFrameworks\types\ofTypes.h 188

Error C2535 ‘ofPtr::ofPtr(const ofPtr &)’: member function already defined or declared openframeworksLib C:\Users\Ernst\Desktop\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\libs\openFrameworks\types\ofTypes.h 188

Error C2061 syntax error: identifier ‘_Dynamic_tag’ openframeworksLib c:\users\ernst\desktop\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\libs\openframeworks\types\ofTypes.h 188

Error C2535 ‘ofPtr::ofPtr(const ofPtr &)’: member function already defined or declared openframeworksLib c:\users\ernst\desktop\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\libs\openframeworks\types\ofTypes.h 188

Error C2535 ‘ofPtr::ofPtr(const ofPtr &)’: member function already defined or declared openframeworksLib c:\users\ernst\desktop\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\libs\openframeworks\types\ofTypes.h 188

This build has errors. Here they are:

#if (_MSC_VER)
template
ofPtr(const ofPtr& __r, std::_Dynamic_tag)
: std::shared_ptr(__r, std:::_Dynamic_tag()) { }

The function above:
syntax error identifier '_Dynamic_tag

Error C2535 ‘ofPtr::ofPtr(const ofPtr &)’: member function already defined or declared openframeworksLib
of_v0.8.4_vs_release\libs\openFrameworks\types\ofTypes.h 188

Error C2535 ‘ofPtr::ofPtr(const ofPtr &)’: member function already defined or declared openframeworksLib
of_v0.8.4_vs_release\libs\openframeworks\types\ofTypes.h 188