problem with OFW standalone

I’ve posted this (to-this-post) seperately as it may be a different issue.

I tried running an OFW example on a new machine with a new install of Windows XP Pro (service pack 2). I tried copying the whole release folder of the eventsExample.

When I run it, the windows error message says:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration in incorrect.
Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.

I also tried copying in msvcr80.dll and it still gives me the same error.

Any ideas?

what diediaga said works…

1. Install this program in the computer that don´t have the compiler:

(with windowsXP servi pack 2)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta-…-laylang=en

(with windowsXP servipack 1)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta-…-laylang=en

basically this programs, install all the dll (from Microsoft) needed to run the application

So there is something in that installer that it needs.

I don’t have a lot of experience with this, because I avoid VS most of the time (for exactly these kinds of reasons), and I don’t have access to a fresh windows machine, but this is how to do it so that the new computer doesn’t need that runtime installer…

it looks like from this instructions, it could be just making this folder with the three DLLs and the manifest and then adding that folder to any “exe” made by visual studio

-z

OK, due to popular demand, and my frustration with seeing so many people using Express that simply want to run an app on another machine, without the hassle of learning about merge modules, Windows Installer, etc, etc, etc, here is a way to perform deployment option number 2 above (i.e. installing C Runtime library applocal) for Express.

1. On the machine you have Express installed, create the following folder and subfolders in your
    \program files\microsoft visual studio 8\VC folder:

redist\x86\Microsoft.VC80.CRT

1. Copy msvcr80.dll, msvcp80.dll, msvcm80.dll from
    \windows\winsxs\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd

into:

\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC80.CRT

1. in the above Microsoft.VC80.CRT folder, create a new file named:

Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest

1. Paste the following content into the above manifest file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

Now you have a new folder in your Visual C++ Express installation that can be re-used when ever you need it.

To deploy these files, simply copy the Microsoft.VC80.CRT folder you just created to your program folder. That’s it. So for example, if your application executable resides in C:\Program Files\MyApp, you’ll have a folder named:

C:\Program Files\MyApp\Microsoft.VC80.CRT

that contains the 4 files I mentioned (3 DLLs and one manifest file you created by hand)

No installation of anything else is necessary. Just click on your EXE file, and your app will run. No special installation engines are necessary, just make your setup program (installer) create that subfolder Microsoft.VC80.CRT along with what you normally install with your app)

yes, this is why i use dev-cpp on windows.
i also couldn’t figure it out.

best
joerg

yeah VS is sometimes too complicated for it’s own good! it has some nice features, but I find issues like this are good arguments for simplicity. it seems pretty obvious that people would want to compile an exe and then try it on another machine without one more MSoft download or another hoop to jump through.

we have added a post build step in the new VS projects that copy all the DLLs into the right place, so we will experiment with adding the manifest / DLLs to the other DLLs and see if that helps people with the standalone issues.

If anyone can try the DLL / folder fix above please let us know if it works

thanks!!
zach

a good way to get a blank windows-test-installation is to install windows for a virtual machine like virtual box:
http://www.virtualbox.org/

i use that all the time.

best
joerg

wow that is really cool. thanks – z

I’ve posted that folder here:

openFrameworks.cc/files/Microsoft.VC80.CRT.zip

which should be unzipped and included with the exe and I believe it should allow msvc EE exes to run on new systems. will test as soon as I can.

take care!!
zach