Premissions to compile project

Hi,

I just installed oF through pacman in a Manjaro system. I also installed Qt Creator and templates.

When trying to compile an already existing project it fails because of permissions. OF is installed in /opt/openFramworks, with root ownership, so I can’t compile as user.

What is the best approach on getting this to work? Run QtCreator with sudo? Install oF elsewhere? They all sound kinda messy.

Cheers

Hi
I think OF is made as a single user environment. It should be installed somewhere in your home dir, or in any directory with full ownership.
If you want to install it system wide, maybe you can try with correct group permission (i.e. group develop with same access rights than the owner of OF dir tree), but probably it’ll become quite complicated in a short period of time…

1 Like

just download and install in your home folder if you what and you can use VS code

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I’ll do that.

I just found out that at the end of installation (in Manjaro) there’s a message that says:

launch the command: /opt/openFrameworks/scripts/of-make-workspace [path]
this command will initialize a workspace folder, with no path given the default folder is: ~/of-workspace.

I ran it and created the workspace which seems to work. I could compile an empty project, although I’m having issues running it. It outputs this error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

Not sure if it has to do with the installation or is just a bug. Any ideas?

i also run OF in manjaro but i never installed with pacman, i wouldn’t recommend that
dont see a need for it, as the other way has worked for me a long time now and i have different version of OF working.
and for setup in VS code i use this https://github.com/npisanti/of_vscode
once created the project with the OF app

You’re right, hadn’t thought about version keeping. Thanks.

I installed it in the user directory. I ran over some openAL issues while compiling but solved them with a minor hack.
When trying to run the examples, thought, I can compile them but they fail to run throwing this error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
Aborted (core dumped)

which is some kind of issue with locale but not sure how to solve it. I have 3 languages installed, GB, GBK and ES, currently using GB. Any hints on this?

Hi
Looks like a locale misconfiguration, or missing package. I don’t use manjaro so i cannot be more precise, but maybe here you can find some help:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18686466/stdlocalefacet-s-create-c-locale-name-not-valid
https://github.com/potree/PotreeConverter/issues/281

Maybe it’s just a matter of installing EN_en.utf8 locale, but i’m just guessing

HTH

1 Like

Thanks @Bencilari, I got it to run applying the solution from this post, although I added it to .bashrc instead of .profile as suggested there.

yeah the openAL i had to do it to, the other one once happen to me on a raspberry pi with arch i remember i set it up for EN nothing more
did you manage to fix it ?

I did, thanks!