PandaBoardES and Openframework

I continue a discussion started on this topic: OF and Beaglebone http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/of-on-beaglebone/8908/1 . I think start a new one is more appropriated.

yes my branch will only work with hard float and i didn’t make opengl work yet. i know damian has managed to run it and that he is using armel (not hard float) probably it’s in his repo but not sure. also jason, didn’t you compiled it for armel for the chuby?

i have to disinstall sgx omap4 lib and dev to install standard gles libraries. I was able to compile the static OF lib but i receive of course, errors ( a long list of , just a piece of the log) :

/usr/bin/ld: error: ../../../libs/poco/lib/linuxarmv7l/libPocoFoundation.a(FileStream.o) uses VFP register arguments, bin/polygonExample does not  
/usr/bin/ld: failed to merge target specific data of file ../../../libs/poco/lib/linuxarmv7l/libPocoFoundation.a(FileStream.o)  
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status  
make: *** [bin/polygonExample] Error 1  
Process terminated with status 2 (0 minutes, 7 seconds)  
0 errors, 0 warnings  

i will look at the damianz repo directly. would be great if someone can give me the greatest amount of info and if someone has managed to create applications with OpenGL and OF. Considering that I am completely new to ARM and everything related. Would be wonderful a ready linux image to use with OF007 with all lib and dev. ( or at least clear step by step instructions) .

I compiled kiss and tess2 with the make/config files you have in your branch

Cairo I had to compile from scratch as apt didn’t have the latest

So you think that i have to compile also from scratch some lib ?

I had also another question : Since that i use Codeblocks to develop in Pandaboard. Which compiler i have to use ? I suppose to use the Gnu GCC ARM compiler but the makefile don’t let me to use it i have to use instead GNU GCC standard compiler…

Would be fine also start a "How to " about Pandaboard , PandaboardES, Beagleboard etc. ; how to install on the sdacard the OSsytem (linux or android), how to use the serial monitor(minicom…), how to configure OF with this boards. They are only ideas that come in my mind , i have found difficulties to install the OS and with all the
stuff related. I think i f i would found a reference in OF doc this shall helped a lot. I hope other people will be interested in such things and may share experience and opinions.

log17082012.txt

A lot of the info I used to get Ubuntu installed (not my favorite distro, but it worked) just came from the pandaboard site: http://www.pandaboard.org/content/ubuntu-pandaboard, check this branch of Damains repo: https://github.com/damiannz/openFrameworks/blob/damian-linuxarm7-softfp

It’s actually fairly easy to get up and running (in my experience at least).

I agree that a ARM device setup+ wiki would be pretty awesome

this may help a lot, i have looked at damiannz repo . The instructions to build the image are very useful. I will try the arm damiannz OF with my Ubuntu 11.10 already installed on the PandaboardES to see if it works otherwise i build another image like suggested in the readme.arm.pandaboardubuntu .
Thanks for the inputs, Joshua !

Finally I have a simple application that works with OF in my PandaboardES!

These were my settings: I was able to use ubuntu-server-11.10-preinstalled-armel omap4.img.gz + instead of the desktop version (Should be faster?). But I had to install lightdm:

sudo apt-get install lightdm
sudo apt-get install - no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop

and then I followed the instructions contained in the file readme.pandaboardubuntu located in the dammianz github repo.

I then created a codeblocks project with the python script, and after a succesful compiling, I had my simple window on my screen. I only noticed a problem with the mouse, experiencing a flickering. Perhaps because it uses glut?

P:S Now i can start to think what can i do with my PandaboardES!

Ah, very cool. Interesting that you had to install the server not the desktop version, I didn’t run into that problem.

i used the server version because i have already it installed on my sdcard.(because i follow this instructions here: https://sites.google.com/site/andrewssobral/pandaboard ) To save time i tried to use it .
I have another sdcard that i can use. I will install the desktop version on this to test .
I thought that glut wasn’t possible to use with Arm as discussed here: http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/of-beagleboard/5020/0 instead my app testApp works with glut.
or i is suggested to use another window library like GLFW, SDL or other?

i m testing diferents OpenFrameworks addons with PandaBoardES . I m trying to use ofxPd addon but i receive this error:

g++: error: unrecognized option ‘export-dynamic’

i used cFLags and LD_FLAGS USER_LIBS as suggested in the addon. I suppose that there are some other setting for ARM in this case or i miss some libraries?

Hello kalwalt,

I am trying myself to put oF on my Pandaboard. After some unsuccessful attemps with Ubuntu 12.04, I decided to give a try with 11.10, following damiannz readme procedure.

So my panda is now ready to get started: installed code blocks and dependencies.

I then created a codeblocks project with the python script, and after a succesful compiling, I had my simple window on my screen.

And this is the point where I get lost. For information I never experiment python before and I would love if you could help me locating which python script to launch to create a codeblocks project.

in /scripts/linuxArm/ubuntu/ the only scripts are for installing/desintalling codeblocks and dependencies.
Also, looking around the folders I found that in /scripts/linux/ there are much more scripts there. Does this “CreateProjects.py” is the one I need to launch? If yes, how should I do it?

So far I have been trying quite some times on how to create/compile projects and basically ended up restarting from scratch many times (re-installing ubuntu basically) and I start to have enough of it. So little help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

and I actually solved my problem…by looking at one of your other post actually :slight_smile:

python createProject.py /home/user/path_to_folder_in_oF_workspace

Then got error because of the mangling of va_list which changed in GCC 4.4.
So I added -Wno-psabi to the USER_CFLAGS in config.make.

And now it is compiling! great success!

great! should be cool to have projectGenerator also for this OF modified version , that is upgrade to 0072 version. Don’t you agree?
Anyway are you developing on an Pandaboard or PandaboardES?
Cheers

Yes I agree with having a projectGenerator. At least it would make things a bit more clear as for example I am used to xcode and so switching to another development environment is quite confusing at the beginning (when you still don’t know the small tricks that makes your life easier). I haven’t try yet to add OpenCv addon in it but I believe it will be quite tricky (fun? :)).

Yes I have a panda ES (rev.B), I am not looking at the development side of it: I do not intend to design my own mobile platform, I intend to use it as it is so that I have an inexpensive “standalone” computer that can stays in installations as “stanalone” unit basically. And comparing other development board, I found that this panda is the most powerful I found with still a cheap price and with already oF working fine on it (i.e. compared to Pi, Beagle and such).

Anyway this toy is great!

Yes I have a panda ES (rev.B), I am not looking at the development side of it: I do not intend to design my own mobile platform, I intend to use it as it is so that I have an inexpensive “standalone” computer that can stays in installations as “stanalone” unit basically. And comparing other development board, I found that this panda is the most powerful I found with still a cheap price and with already oF working fine on it (i.e. compared to Pi, Beagle and such).

We choose Pandaboard for the same purpose! I want to transfer one of my application for an interactive installation that I created in Ubuntu on my notebook,into the Pandaboard. My application use OfxARToolkiyPlus addon, ofxOpenCv and ofx3DModelLoader ,should works fine in Pandaboard (a part ofx3DModelLoader , i think) . This is a little installation that i made for my first exhibition Carnet de reves in France at Studio Orta ,here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Studio-Orta-Les-Moulins/118321331572390?ref=stream- . But my interactive works was only for the vernissage, thats why i want to transfer it in a Pandaboard.

For anyone interested there is this github OF branch that works for PandaboardES https://github.com/openFrameworks-RaspberryPi/openFrameworks also go in the issue https://github.com/openFrameworks-RaspberryPi/openFrameworks/issues/64 and the wiki https://github.com/openFrameworks-RaspberryPi/openFrameworks/wiki . Be aware that is still under development…

Hi Kawalt,
What was the resolution to this issue regarding ‘export-dynamic’?? I’m seeing this now when I try the ofxPd addon with the debug configuration (though the same config.make works for the Release config)

thanks so much!!

Regarding to this issue i don’t find a solution. But i was using the Ubuntu11.10 “soft” version at that time. Now on PandaboardEs i have Ubuntu12.04 “hard” version. Maybe changes something . I will try in those days. ( but you are not on Arm? right? i see your post…)

Hi Kalwalt,
I’m on an ARM in the sense that my phone is a Galaxy Nexus (Cortex a-9 w/ neon), but no, i’m not running on a panda/beagle board.

Okay, I have some more sleuthing to do!
cheers,
d