(organised) bug extermination drive?

Hi!

Seeing that we currently have 198 open issues in the repo, would it maybe make sense to organise a major bug hunt? Go through the list, close bugs which have become irrelevant, milestone bugs, fix bugs, etc. to get the list down to a manageable length? I think many of those bugs are not relevant anymore.
Could be problematic due to time zone differences though. Maybe just call one week where we concentrate on that instead of features?

What do you think?

I discussed that with underdoeg before.
What we thought of:
If someone has some spare time, you just look in the bug list, choose a bug and try to fix it.
Since now, the problem is, there are many issues that are not real ones but things need to be discussed, so going thorugh the list and close everthing which is not a “real” issue and push things to be discussed in our new beautiful dev board :slight_smile:

that’s a good idea about non-real issues.
I went through the list of ~40 bugs originally milestoned for 007, looking for things to fix. unfortunately, most were above my level of coding skills. Maybe I’ll be more lucky with the whole list.

I think there’s a lot of edge cases where feedback by the reporter or someone like arturo would be needed. I suggest that in those cases to do it like many tracking systems on bug expiry: close nevertheless, and generally leave a notice that in case of this bug still affecting the OP to re-open or open a new bug. most bugs will be heavily outdated anyway, I think.

hey sounds good! anything that you feel should be closed or isn’t valid mark:
“please-close” followed by the reason in the comments.

So, I just waded through all the open issues, labeled, milestoned, commented them. This is **the best moment **to start fixing bugs! We got 247 open, let’s bring that number down!

I detailed some info about the issue tracker/labels/etc here: http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/bugs-and-other-issues/7194/2

In short:
If you’re a beginner or short on time, choose bitesize issues
If you look for an easy mark, issues with a probable solution inside are marked fix-proposed
If you’re a core-dev or strategy driven, weigh in at issued marked development-strategy, they need the voice of more experienced people. If necessary, link or open a forum thread for lengthier discussions.
platform-specific bugs are marked with the respective platform string.
IF you want to work on documentation, those are also available.

The issue tracker: https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues
Filter by clicking on the labels.

Work on bugs, request more information if needed, test your solutions, then submit a Pull Request.
Don’t forget to include “closes #” or “fixes #” in resolving commit messages and pull requests, so that github’s octocat fairy can automagically close the relevant issues when the code is merged in!

If you see** errors/omissions regarding labels**, leave a comment “(un)mark-”, and we’ll get around to correcting that. 2N eyes see more than 2.

That’s it for now. Smithers, release the hounds!

Happy coding!

One more thing to keep in mind when triaging issues. Sometimes one issue can be too complex or incorporate multiple issues. If the thread/discussion is too long, it is hard to find time to reread all the stuff. Such issues should be summarized to clarify and factored out into separate issues.

Clearly identified problem have much more chances to be fixed.

Yes you’re correct, and I know, but I don’t think there’s more than one or two open issues that have a too-long discussion.