Optimizing a mesh created from an imported model

I’ve alluded to this in another thread, but I think it deserves its own topic. I’m working with a model imported from an STL file via ofAssimpModelLoader that is comprised of about 800K vertices. I’m drawing them using an ofVboMesh. Frame rate seems slow – about 50 fps. I’m not sure the mesh is optimized – I wouldn’t be surprised if there are duplicate vertices that would benefit from just referencing the index of a previously used vertex, but I’m guessing ::getModel() doesn’t do that kind of optimization. Is a single pass mesh optimization possible, and would doing so improve the frame rate?

meshlab is a very good tool to optimize meshes. check out the filters for "Remeshing, simplification and construction "

Thanks! Meshlab works great! On import, it confirms there are duplicate vertices – vertex count is cut in half. The remeshing filters are numerous and bewildering, so I’ll have to get smart on what they are and what they do.

Just eliminating duplicate vertices has my visualization hitting 60 fps with a yawn. Any suggestions on coding a routine to eliminate/index/re-index duplicate vertices on import?

1 Like

Any suggestions on coding a routine to eliminate/index/re-index duplicate vertices on import?
ou could

i have no idea for this but if you want to reduce your verts count you could use a very used technique in video games: Use a Normal map for a low poly model instead a high poly model. You can do this with a software like 3dCoat or zbrush, or blender or another similar.