openFramework and games

Hi,
I would like to know, please, if openFrameworks is suitable for making 3D games. Also complex ones, like for example, third person adventure style games.
After taking a sneak peek at the samples code, I assume it’s possible to load skinned/animated mesh in .dae format, isn’t it?
And what about shaders? Is it possible to configure and use shader code of my own (in .vs-.fs file)?
In which manner?
Thanks in advance and kind regards!

*Cosmo*
1 Like

It is possible to load meshes and materials in OF, have a look at examples in the addons folder, the ofxAssimpOne. Regarding shaders, yes, you can setup your own fragment and vertex shader (and the geometry one too, and compute shaders too).
Saying that, I do not think that OF is the best open source tool for making videogame.
In the forum you can find people who released videogame done in OF, maybe they have other perspective about it.

I’m soon to release a 2D game made with openFrameworks but have only tried some tutorials etc when it comes to 3D. I think you have to ask yourself this:
Do I want to complete my game project as fast as possible or do I want to build a lot of stuff on my own? If you want to complete your project as fast as possible there are multiple engines to choose from, Unity and Unreal being the two most obvious.
But openFrameworks could be an option if your goal is to build most of your game engine on your own and do it as a learning experience. IMO the best part of openFrameworks is the community. There are some crazy skilled people around here (no not me). People are helpful and nice, and that is not the case on all game dev platforms.
Good luck on your project!

4 Likes

I’m currently working o a game (iOS and Android) using quite a lot of 3D objects.
When I started the project, I was using Marmalade, which was a closed source C++ game engine.
They went out of bussiness, so I ported the project to OF.

On the performance side OF/Assimp seems to consume a bit more memory compared to better optimized formats, and there are of course less optimizations and features available compared to Marmalade. For my purpose the performance is satisfying, and I guess there is still a lot potential for custom optimizations.

If your targeting iOS, you will have to build the Assimp library yourself, because it doesn’t work out ouf the box currently when uploading to testflight (OF 0.10.0).

Another issue is that Apple has deprecated OpenGL, which is currently not resolved by default.

Greetings.

2 Likes

Thanks Wiklund!
Yes, my idea is about using OF to develop a 3D game framework of on my own.
Currently, I’m using Irrlicht as Render system and Bullet for Physics simulation. Irrlicht is a very good tool, that save me a lot of hassles about graphics programming and stuff like that. But at present, I think it lacks some flessibility in terms of material and shader coding. For example, I found a lot of documentation about PBR material implementation, but I dont’n know how to use this kind of tutorial in Irrlicht, cause it only supports older GLSL implementation. So, I’m searching on the Web a library/framework which let me also try to experiment with shader of my own.
For this specific task, I would like to try OF.
Bye!

Cosmo

Just to underscore what @Wiklund already mentioned: If the game is supposed to be 2D, then by all means, YES!

I dare say OF has potential to be MUCH BETTER than these prominent engines when it comes to 2D (Not sure about the 3D and all its possibilities though…). And I intend to prove it as well as other members here that make 2d games in OF. Currently struggling with map chunk loading system in order to provide for virtually unlimited map sizes (utilizing ofxThreadedImageLoader addon)…

Come to think of OF compared to already made game-maker engines, what is the difference?
Well, with OF you practically wield the power of pure C++ with all essential libraries you need to make a game (graphics, sound, input/output, etc. etc.). Wait, not just a game, a whole game engine and a level/map/world editor for that engine. Food for thought… :wink:
3D game development may be rather an uncharted territory for OpenFrameworks, but then again, there has to be someone who tries to explore these areas and make something.

And I’m sure the community and the lead members of the OF will be glad for any new ways to implement and propagate the possibilities of the OF. :wink:

4 Likes