ofxTensorFlow2 - TensorFlow 2 addon

ofxaddons_thumbnail

Howdy all,

We are happy to announce the release of ofxTensorFlow2:

https://github.com/zkmkarlsruhe/ofxTensorFlow2

ofxTensorFlow2 is an openFrameworks addon for loading and running ML models trained with the TensorFlow 2 ML (Machine Learning) library using libtensorflow, the cppflow TF2 wrapper library, and openFrameworks wrappers and conversion functions. Development was influenced in part by Memo Akten’s TF1 ofxMSTensorFlow.

So far, we have tested on macOS and Linux. Windows should work, but we haven’t tried it directly yet. The macOS libtensorflow builds provided by the TF website are cpu-only, so they run slowly but work. Hopefully support for the Apple M1’s Neural Cores will be added at some point…

This addon is developed by the ZKM | Hertz-Lab as part of the project »The Intelligent Museum«.

12 Likes

Thats super cool!! thanks for sharing

I am really keen to give this a go, but I wanted to check if I am doing something wrong before I go with github.

I am working on OSX with Xcode and the master branch of OF.

As per the instructions:
I cloned the addon
git clone git@hertz-gitlab.zkm.de:Hertz-Lab/Research/intelligent-museum/ofxTensorFlow2.git

Did the submodule update:
git submodule update --init --recursive

Ran the scripts to download the tensorflow C library
./scripts/download_tensorflow.sh

Add c++ 14 support in:
OF_ROOT/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/osx/CoreOF.xcconfig

By replacing this line:
CLANG_CXX_LANGUAGE_STANDARD = c++11
With this:
CLANG_CXX_LANGUAGE_STANDARD[arch=x86_64] = c++14

I then used the project generator to generate an example, and added:
$OF_PATH/addons/ofxTensorFlow2/scripts/macos_install_libs.sh "$TARGET_BUILD_DIR/$PRODUCT_NAME.app";

To the second run script under build phases.

I get many errors in ofConstants.h and ofEvents.h
A lot of them are:
Use of undeclared identifier 'self'

I went through the instructions several times but I am not sure if I missed something or if there is an error.

I get many errors in ofConstants.h and ofEvents.h
A lot of them are:
Use of undeclared identifier 'self'

Which example?

What files show this (ie. which file/.line is show in the Xcode) and can you paste the full error output?

UPDATE: There isn’t a usage of “self” in any of the source files and the add-on doesn’t have any Obj-C code which would use it.

Hi, so far this happens with “example_style_transfer” and “example_basics” the log output from where the error messages start is as follows:

In file included from ../../../../libs/openFrameworks/3d/of3dUtils.h:3:
/Users/fredrodrigues/My Code/Fred Rodrigues/Code/OF_GITT/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworks/utils/ofConstants.h:430:50: error: expected ')'
        return std::unique_ptr<T>(new U[sizeof...(Args)]{std::forward<Args>(args)...});
                                                        ^
/Users/fredrodrigues/My Code/Fred Rodrigues/Code/OF_GITT/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworks/utils/ofConstants.h:430:27: note: to match this '('
        return std::unique_ptr<T>(new U[sizeof...(Args)]{std::forward<Args>(args)...});
                                 ^
In file included from /Users/fredrodrigues/My Code/Fred Rodrigues/Code/OF_GITT/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworks/3d/of3dUtils.cpp:2:
In file included from /Users/fredrodrigues/My Code/Fred Rodrigues/Code/OF_GITT/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworks/app/ofAppRunner.h:5:
In file included from ../../../../libs/openFrameworks/app/ofMainLoop.h:4:
In file included from /Users/fredrodrigues/My Code/Fred Rodrigues/Code/OF_GITT/openFrameworks/libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvents.h:4:
In file included from ../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEventUtils.h:4:
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:204:40: error: a space is required between consecutive right angle brackets (use '> >')
                        std::vector<std::shared_ptr<Function>> functions;
                                                            ^~
                                                            > >
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:220:25: error: function definition does not declare parameters
                std::shared_ptr<Data> self{new Data};
                                      ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:153:4: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        self->functions = mom.self->functions;
                        ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:161:33: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        std::unique_lock<Mutex> lck2(self->mtx);
                                                     ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:162:4: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:163:4: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        self->enabled = mom.self->enabled;
                        ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:169:4: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        self->functions = std::move(mom.self->functions);
                        ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:170:4: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        self->enabled = std::move(mom.self->enabled);
                        ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:178:33: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        std::unique_lock<Mutex> lck2(self->mtx);
                                                     ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:179:4: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:180:4: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        self->enabled = mom.self->enabled;
                        ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:185:4: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        self->enabled = true;
                        ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:189:4: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        self->enabled = false;
                        ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:193:11: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        return self->enabled;
                               ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:197:11: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        return self->functions.size();
                               ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:245:40: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        return std::make_unique<EventToken>(self,*f.id);
                                                            ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:250:32: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        std::unique_lock<Mutex> lck(self->mtx);
                                                    ^
../../../../libs/openFrameworks/events/ofEvent.h:251:14: error: use of undeclared identifier 'self'
                        auto it = self->functions.begin();
                                  ^
fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
20 errors generated.

All my other OF projects are working fine, and when I revert the change for the c++14 my projects work.

I do have spaces in my folder names that enclose my OF folder - this is something from an enforced structure that I don’t have control over - I am wondering if this is part of the issue.

Which version of OF are you using? Latest 0.11 stable release or development checked out from git?

UPDATE: I see you already noted this:

I am working on OSX with Xcode and the master branch of OF.

We haven’t tested with bleeding edge OF, only the current release version.

Looking further, the first error line indicates where the problem likely is:

It seems like the implementation of make_unique support for C++11 is on and clashing with C++14. Try turning it off using the define which is checked for there by adding NO_OF_MAKE_UNIQUE to the build, maybe in libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/osx/Shared.xcconfig:

OTHER_CFLAGS = $(OF_CORE_CFLAGS) -DNO_OF_MAKE_UNIQUE

Also, if you are on Windows, the Windows libtensorflow builds from the TF website are currently not up to date, so may run into further issues right now:

I just downloaded the release version and everything works as expected. However the fix you suggested did not work for the master branch.

Good to hear it works with the current release.

Feel free to open an issue on Github we can use to track support with the development version of OF, but our general focus is mainly on supporting release versions only as it’s too much work otherwise. :slight_smile:

Nice work Dan! Looking forward to trying this out…