ofxKinect and kinect 1473 problem

Hi guys…

We got a new batch of kinects for an installation (most of them 1473), and our apps are randomly hanging in the first 30 seconds.

The error seems similar to what Theo described that happened when he first plugged the kinect to and xbox (firmware upgrade), but this kinects have never been conected to anything except our macs.

One odd thing is that the kinect id always return zeros.

Any suggestions?

And in windows works like a charm… maybe this new kinects come with the new firmware already installed?

For what it is worth, the ofxKinect README calls out model numbers and connectivity issues with OS X.

NOTE: Xbox Kinect models > 1414 (1473, etc) or Kinect4Windows devices that have been plugged into an XBox will not work with ofxKinect on Mac OSX

If you have an Xbox Kinect model 1473+ or Kinect4Windows device and want to use it with ofxKinect on OSX, DO NOT plug it into an XBox! If you do, it will receive a firmware update which will cause it to freeze after about 20 secs with libfreenect/ofxKinect on OSX. Linux and Windows are fine. The fix is in the works.

In the meantime, we suggest you get the original Xbox Kinect model 1414 and keep those new toys away from an XBox …

is this with the 0.8.0 release and the included ofxKinect?
it could be as maximilien says that newer 1473 have the updated firmware pre-bundled.

is there a console log you can post?



Yes we are using 0.8.0 release, and the kinects were connected to the mac directly from the box, never touched an xbox. 3 of the ones that we ordered came with the same problem, the fourth was a regular 1414 model. It’s happening on osx 10.7.5

The log from the kinect example

This GDB was configured as “x86_64-apple-darwin”.tty /dev/ttys000
[Switching to process 3644 thread 0x0]
[verbose] ofxKinect: context inited
[verbose] ofxKinect: 1 device found
[verbose] ofxKinect: id: 0 serial: 0000000000000000
[verbose] ofxKinect: open(): device 0 does not have motor control
[notice ] sensor-emitter dist: 7.5cm
[notice ] sensor-camera dist: 2.4cm
[notice ] zero plane pixel size: 0.1042mm
[notice ] zero plane dist: 120mm
[verbose] ofxKinect: device 0 0000000000000000 connection opened
[Stream 70] Expected 1748 data bytes, but got 948
USB device disappeared, cancelling stream 82 :frowning:
USB camera marked dead, stopping streams
send_cmd: Output control transfer failed (-2)
send_cmd: Output control transfer failed (-4)
[verbose] ofxKinect: device 0 connection closed
kinectExample(3644,0xacf8e2c0) malloc: *** error for object 0x136de04: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
sharedlibrary apply-load-rules all


I think I have a fix for you!

I can get both of my 1473 Kinects to work on OS X without freezing by applying this patch.

Curious if that helps you.
Without it I get the freeze - with it the LED turns red and it runs great.


Thanks Theo! I will test it tonight, I have 6 kinects taking dust right now!

I’ll keep you posted about it :smiley:

I tested on my setup (I can have the kinect working in glview but after 10sec it freezes.)
MBP 15"
kinect 1473 (that was connected to an xbox)

And actually I couldn’t build the kinect example to test your fix.
I get the error:
Apple Match-O Linker (Id) Error
“_freenect_extra_keep_alive”, referenced from:"
Apple Match-O Linker (Id) Error
“clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)”

and I’m new to this. :slight_smile:

Looks like your XCode project got a little messed up by the change in libfreenect. If you’re new to adding external stuff to an existing project, you could make a simple test like this:

  • in the addons folder, insert the new fixed ofxKinect next to the old one; since it’s a test and you probably don’t want to overwrite the old one, call the new addon something like “ofxKinectFix”

  • use the projectGenerator to make a test project: in the addons selector, just select the “ofxKinectFix” you just created

hope it help :smile:

1 Like

I just wanted to add my positive experience: MacOSX 10.8.5 + Kinect 1473 with new firmware + Theo’s fix work nicely :smiley:

yeah it worked, really nicely.

thanks @naus3a for the tip on starting from the beginning I was being lazy just running @theo example. :wink:
and thank you @theo for the fix. I was getting really depressed with this kinect.

great to hear @jonatas @naus3a
this patch has already been applied in the OF github so the next OF release will have this fix built in.

we also have motor control working for 1473 now, but that is a little trickier so I will need to do a few more checks before we do the merge.