ofToString() returning hex memory address?: was - String being printed as hexadecimal in window but not in console?

code i’ve been working on for a while started printing out string values as hexadecimal - the memory addresses of the strings it would appear (from stack overflow et al) - so in an attempt to debug I refreshed, checked and then made a new project with only this in;

void ofApp::draw(){
    ofDrawBitmapStringHighlight( "hello", 20  , 20);

}

it still displays as hexadecimal - this is using osx 10.13.6 and oF 0.10.1 -compiling in xcode 9.4.1 what is the obvious error I am overlooking?

when I make RunRelease in terminal the error is the same…

void ofApp::draw(){
    string hello ="hello";
    ofDrawBitmapString( "hello", 20  , 20);
    ofDrawBitmapString( hello, 20  , 40);
    cout << "hello " << hello << endl;

}

gives two hex strings printed to the window and ‘hello hello’ in the console…
???30

when using ofTrueTypeFont and font.drawString() rather than ofDrawBitmapString() the text values are fine but using ofToString() is returning the addresses of the values I am passing to it rather than a correct string - something is up in the config of my dev machine as all the standard oF examples are doing the same thing-

still stumped by this - any suggestions?

This sounds like a problem with latest maxos / xcode cause it’s not happening in other platforms. Can you try to instead call:

ofDrawBitmapString<string>( "hello", 20  , 20);

thanks arturo, sadly that is not working either…

ofDrawBitmapString( "hello", 20  , 20);
    ofDrawBitmapString( hello, 20  , 40);
    myFont.drawString("hello", 20 , 60);
    myFont.drawString(hello, 20 , 80);
    ofDrawBitmapString<string>( "hello", 20  , 100);

gives

hex
hex
hello 
hello
hex

this is identical whether building in xcode or from terminal with make RunRelease

Can you open an issue on github mentioning in the title that this is on latest osx / xcode?

opened as issue https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/issues/6270

can find no affecting alternative factors - still experiencing this issue - any suggestions on what might be up with my dev environment?