ofSerial - "Unable to open port"

Hi guys,

I’m trying to send some data from an Arduino to openframeworks.

I have simply set up the Arduino to print an integer with serial.print(), but when I try to establish the connection in openframeworks, I can’t seem to open the port.

I use the serialExample, but with a slight modification.
Instead of using:

serial.setup(“COM4”);

I use:

serial.setup(“COM24”, 9600);

But when I run the code, it says that it can’t open the port.
From what I have read around the internet, the error should be because my Arduino is not connected - but it is.
It even shows up among the devices that are found with serial.enumerateDevices();…

I have tried some other methods as well, like:

setup(0, 9600);
which to my understanding should simply try to establish a connection with the first available device - which in my device list should be the Arduino.

Can anyone help me? :slight_smile:

Arduino code: (still under development)

int IRpin2 = 2;                                    // analog pin for reading the IR sensor  

void setup() {  
  Serial.begin(9600);                             // start the serial port  
}  

void loop() {  

float interactionMade;  

float initialDistance2 = analogRead(IRpin2);  
  if (initialDistance2 > 200){  
    interactionMade = 2;  
    } else {  
     interactionMade = 0;   
    }  

Serial.print(interactionMade);                // print either 0 or 1, 1 meaning detection has happened  
  delay(200);                                     // arbitary wait time.  
}  

what OS? if it’s Windows, open up Device Manager and check that COM24 is correct (it does seem a little bit high!)

also, try using “”\\.\COM24" instead of “COM24” as your port string (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/115831).

[quote author=“damian”]what OS? if it’s Windows, open up Device Manager and check that COM24 is correct (it does seem a little bit high!)

also, try using “”\\.\COM24" instead of “COM24” as your port string (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/115831).[/quote]

Using your suggestion I can establish a connection :slight_smile: Thanks a lot!