ofMatrix OF_MATRIX_MODELVIEW and OF_MATRIX_PROJECTION

I have been using ofxOpenVR for a while with some pretty hacky solutions. I think I understand what I am doing wrong but want to clarify somethings about OF’s matrix modes. I have the following code that was developed by Hugues Bruyère @smallfly (https://github.com/smallfly).

ofPushView();
ofSetMatrixMode(OF_MATRIX_PROJECTION);
ofLoadMatrix(openVR.getCurrentProjectionMatrix(nEye));
ofSetMatrixMode(OF_MATRIX_MODELVIEW);
ofMatrix4x4 currentViewMatrixInvertY = openVR.getCurrentViewMatrix(nEye);
currentViewMatrixInvertY.scale(1.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f);
ofLoadMatrix(currentViewMatrixInvertY);

//I draw stuff here

ofPopView();

I don’t quite understand what is going on and what the predefined OF_MATRIX_PROJECTION and OF_MATRIX_MODELVIEW mean. I have been reading up on openGL and assume that

OF_MATRIX_PROJECTION is the equivalent of GL_PROJECTION
and
OF_MATRIX_MODELVIEW is the equivalent of GL_MODELVIEW

The end of this code leaves me in OF_MATRIX_MODELVIEW mode with the line

ofLoadMatrix(currentViewMatrixInvertY);

That inverts the matrix to match OF’s orientation. I think I should be able to draw a mesh after this using something like this:

ofPushMatrix();
ofMatrix4x4 myMatrixToUseForTransformations;
ofMultMatrix( myMatrixToUseForTransformations );
myMesh.draw();
ofPopMatrix();

When I do this however it seems like the transform that I do is fixed to the model view matrix of the eye, not independent.

I am trying to develop this away from a vive at the moment, which is dumb, but I also want to understand the logic. What I think I should do is the following:

ofPushMatrix();
ofMatrix4x4 myMatrixToUseForTransformations;
ofMultMatrix( myMatrixToUseForTransformations * currentViewMatrixInvertY );
myMesh.draw();
ofPopMatrix();

I know it is a bit of an abstract question and I will be back with the HMD on Monday, with more questions for sure, but I want to be a little prepared.

I guess the thing that confuses me the most is as each eye is essentially a view, why is the model view matrix loaded for the eye, I would have thought that it should be a projection matrix instead.

Don’t understand your question exactly but i think your confusion comes from the fact that in old opengl model and view matrices where always combined. I answered a similar question recently here:

But in particular:

The projection matrix represents the lens of the camera in VR you should have 1 projection matrix which should be the same for both eyes i imagine

The view matrix is the inverse of the position of the camera, in VR you should have one per eye representing the position of each eye.

The model matrix represents the position of the object being drawn.

modelview is the combination of view + model